Mileage Plus bonus

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage Plus bonus

Recently, I flew from Dublin to LHR to LAX. My original flight out of DUB on Bmi was cancelled so I missed my United flight from LHR to LAX. I posted about this on the "I'll never fly this airline again" thread, but in reality I got over it in a day or two.

I was flying on a coach class ticket that was upgraded to biz class using System Wide Upgrades, a benefit of 1K status. Missing my original United flight was potentially a real problem but the UA agent at LHR was abel to get me a biz class seat.

Six days after the flight I saw that the mileage had not posted to my account. I tried fixing it online but it said that the flight was on an award ticket and not eligible for mileage! That's 5456 EQMs or 10912 RDMs (including 100% elite bonues!

I called the MP Premier Exec service center and the agent saw the problem right away. She fixed it as we spoke and told me to refresh my browser and I would see it. She pointed out that she included the 25% class of service bonus. I thought that was nice. I saw that the 5456 had also been added to the EQM bonus.

Next day I saw that the EQM bonus had increased by 2728 miles. That is the 50% bonus EQM for biz class!

The icing on the cake is that today I saw that the SWU had been credited back to my e-upgrade balance.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Go buy a lottery ticket immediately. You're on a roll!
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:23 AM
emd

I agree, except instead of the lottery, go to the racetrack.

That is what I call a damn good day.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM

to quote emd, "some guys have all the luck". lol
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I assume that you are going to contact United and let them know their mistake - if they had accidentally taken one to many upgrades out of your acocunt you would tell them - so I am sure that you will let them know about the mistake the other way?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
emd

kuanosuke, and to quote Bob Dylan, "It aint me babe"...

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:55 AM
emd

wombat, IIRC, mrw told us another somewhat similar tale last year, wherein he did call United and tried to get them to see their "error" and the lady basically told him to go home and enjoy his bonus.

I had a similar call w/United this year, wherein I called to complain about some points and it became apparent while I was complaining that they had actually awarded me MORE than I should have gotten.

And again, the rep told me "your lucky day" and made it pretty clear that when a mistake is made, they give it to you and you should graciously receive. Those points stayed in my acct even after I spoke to her. Based on that call and mrw's prior call, I would not call them back and try to get them to take away what they have given, because it seems that their policy is "we made an error, go enjoy it." And I would not take time to try and deal w/United again on that.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

When I called about the missing mileage I mentioned that I paid $$$ for the ticket (well under the $$$$ for biz class), so I thought that the CSR understood I was on an economy ticket. I thought that the 25% RDM bonus was a gift from the CSR to make up for the inconvenience caused by the mistake of the missing mileage and maybe as a consolation for the cancelled flight.

This is the third mileage "free gift" I have encountered.

The first was with TWA in 1994. I got an award for 70,000 miles but had to reschedule. I sent the first ticket in and got a second ticket. I didn't have enough miles for both tickets, so the lady said that when they got the first ticket back they would call it even. I flew on the second ticket. They eventually (incorrectly) credited back the 70,000 miles for the return of the first ticket. I called about this and explained but the CSR did not seem to understand. When I tried to explain again, she said "NO, sir, you don't understand, everything is ok now". At that point I said thank you and good-bye.

The second time was with United last year. I had two award tickets, coach and biz class for me and a coach award ticket for my nephew. I forget how it happened but I cancelled my coach ticket and rescheduled his. Something like that. It ended up that he had a North Asia- Japan coach award ticket without the 20,000 miles deducted from my account.

My policy is to accept all gifts of mileage and cash.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

And I did not call United about the award ticket. I assume that it was not a mistake.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Had to call MP again today because two confirmed regional upgrades that I earned were not posted. These confirmed region 1 upgrades are earned by a 1K flying 10,000 miles in a quarter. I had 10,032 miles. He fixed it.

I then told him that there was another error in my account, in my favor. His initial reaction was silence and then he asked if it had something to do with the CR1s that he just reposted. I said no, and proceeded to explain what happened even though he didn't seem all that interested. At the end, he said that there was nothing that he wanted to do about it and that they wouldn't be going into my account to remove anything, that it was a matter that the other agents dealt with and was done.

So, just like the TWA experience I get to keep the benefit of the error.

As far as the 20,000 mile ticket goes, I will assume it was a gift from United to my airborne ranger war veteran nephew who was taking a break from defending S. Korea from the commies.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
emd

way to go.

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

it's Christmas in July!