USAirways frequent flier ticket for February

Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

USAirways frequent flier ticket for February

Greetings,

We were thinking of booking some travel for February to Phoenix on USAirways to use up most of our remaining frequent flier points. Do you think we will be safe, and will other airlines honor the tix if we get stuck? Your thoughts please.

Thanks
Robyn France
Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:38 AM

Look at it this way, if your ticket is no good, what good would the accumulated miles have been?
Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:03 AM

I'd say it looks grim for US Air, and there is no guarantee that other airlines will honor a free ticket. (Much better chance that they will honor a paid ticket, however.) I suggest you look at booking your free ticket on United, their Star Alliance partner, if at all possible.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:09 AM

Anyone who's truthful will tell you he has no clue about the status of USAir in Feb. Thus: I have no clue about the status of USAir in Feb.

However, I did read somewhere that the other airlines have agreed, in the event of a loss of service, to honor a defunct airline's ticket for a fee of $50. Sorry, can't remember where I saw that, but I do recall the announcement.

I'd expect there to be a bit of a hassle getting the times you want from another carrier, but apparently it can be done (for $50).

BTW, someone on this forum called up posts that were 2 or 3 years old and read about the same as ThePhan's.

People have been predicting a "grim" end to USAir for years, and maybe this time it's actually going to happen. But I'm not relying on anyone in a Fodor's forum to give accurate info on the situation.
Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:43 AM

I believe the regulation to which you refer is that a US carrier has to honor a paid ticket for travel in US for a $25 service charge on a Standby basis. No such provision for those of us who will have useless FF miles or useless free tickets.