rewards certificates (united)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's up with united airlines not allowing folks to deposit more than 20K award miles certificates into their account in one calendar year?

when i called customer service at united (LONG story) they supposedly couldn't even override this policy without the certificate holder sending in the original certificate? even for a VIP who flies more than 150K miles a year on the airline.

grunt!!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I don't understand. You have a paper certificate for an award that costs you more than 20,000 miles. You've decided that you don't want to use the certificate and just want the miles redeposited. If that is the case, then if UA wants there cert back then send it to them. If they credit you the miles and you still had the cert you could go to an airport and get a ticket with it. Seems to make sense to me. We both know they should trust you to destroy the cert.

If I was holding an award cert for a first class ticket to South Asia on lynnejoel airlines, wouldn't you want it back before crediting me the miles. I could take the FC trip by redeeming the cert for a ticket that is worth $20,000 and then get another ticket for free with the redeposited miles.

I suppose that if you don't want to blow 39 cents mailing the cert in you could go to the airport and exchange the cert for an award ticket. Then call and cancel the award ticket. The fee for redepositing the miles will be waived since you are a 1K.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Oh, wait, cancelling the ticket would only work if it was an e-ticket, I think. I assume they would issue paper tix at the airport.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I just came back to this, reread it, and still don't understand. What I read now is that they have a policy that you don't like. They are <u>willing to override that policy</u> but to do that they are asking you to mail something in and you don't want to do that.

You should take this to flyertalk.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM
KT

lynnjoel, if you're still there could you elaborate on what you mean by &quot;20K award mile certificates&quot;? Are those the certificates that they gave you under the pre-1995 program when your mileage reached certain levels or what? Or are these some other kind of certificate? You're not talking about simply cancelling a ticket and redepositing miles, are you, because I've never of a limit on that.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

hey gang, longer story than i ever care to get into, but &quot;award&quot; certificates - like the ones you get as incentives at work, from charities, etc.