Another FF award tkt. question

Dec 28th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Another FF award tkt. question

A dear friend is wanting to give my an award ticket. They have a Capital One credit card and have enough [100,000+]to give me a first class ticket.

Am I correct that it can be on any airline? If so, how would the following scenerio work out:

I have the same amount of miles in my Delta FF account. I want to be able to get 2 tickets to Rome sometime next year. It appears that I will have to use SkyChoice to do so.

If my friend books the ticket for me with his Capital One miles and then I try to get the second ticket for DH. What IF I find for whatever reason, I can't get the second ticket on the same flights -- can I cancel the ticket that my friend got for me and have the miles put into my Delta FF acount?

It is tricky trying to get 2 tickets via different venues, so I hate to take his miles and then find they get lost if I can't book the second ticket.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks...
Debi

Dec 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM

I can tell you one thing - if you cancel the award ticket purchased with your friends miles - you will NOT be able to put the miles into your account.

The miles will go back to your friends account, along with any redeposit fees (if there are any).
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I don't think there is any way 100K Capital One miles will buy you a transatlantic business class ticket (Delta doesn't have first class internationally, only economy and business).

The way Capital One miles works is you're actually buying a revenue (not award) ticket and getting a credit to offset the cost of the purchased ticket. They have different programs that use different multipliers and I don't know which one your friend has, but for example if a multiplier of 100 is used and you can find a discounted business class ticket for say $2500, then it would cost you 250K miles for a free ticket. I believe with Capital One you can still use the miles even if you don't have enough for the entire ticket and just pay the difference. So in this particular example, 100K could be converted to $1000 and you'd pay the balance of $1500.

Capital One (and other bank reward card) miles and airline miles are two completely different things and you cannot put Capital One miles into an airline ff account (because they aren't really miles, think of it more like a cash rebate that you're spending on an airline ticket). Once you buy the first ticket using your friend's "miles", you're subject to whatever refund rules govern the fare class of the purchased ticket. It's not an award ticket and can't be "redeposited".

Have you called Delta to check availability on partner carriers or used the site I gave in your other thread? You may not be limited to just Skychoice.
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I don't know which particular card your friend has but this link will give you an idea of how it works http://tinyurl.com/y6psgo

When are you traveling and from where? Even on Delta's transatlantic flights, there's still some Skysaver availability here and there for next summer. In example, the new ATL-VIE service has good award availability if you can find domestic and intra-Europe connections that will work and don't mind 2 (or more) connections. You may also be able to find something more direct on partner carriers (but you'll need to call or use a source other than delta.com). Good luck!
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I haven't called yet Patty, but have used the link you gave me in other post. I was not able to find anything using the Perksaver, but there were some using the Perkspass. I tried to see what the points would be, but when I got to the last screen which would have had the total points, I got a error message.

And now that I better understand the Capital One thing, I won't have enough for the 2 business class tickets...need to rethink this.

Patty, you are a wonderful source of info -- thanks so much!
Debi
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Just saw your other post Patty...we are in SW Colorado and can fly out ofenver, Albuquerque, Phoenix or Salt Lake City. We are trying to get to Rome and/or Athens. We would like to go in May, but would consider October as well. I figure the summer is pretty much a goner by now.

Thanks again..
Debi
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Perkpass is the equivalent of Skychoice, so those flights wouldn't be an option. Since you don't have enough miles for 2 business tickets, would you still try to redeem one and buy the other or would you want to try for 2 economy tickets?
Dec 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I've gotten spoiled after recent business class tickets to HI! I just like my comfort on those long flights.

I am thinking that I would rather get 1 business class free and then have to buy the second ticket rather than going for 2 "free" economy tickets.

Debi
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:42 PM

I hear ya! I can't even bear the thought of a 5 hour flight in coach anymore.

I think your best bet is to call and see what options are available. You'll most likely have to take a 2 connection itinerary but you can waitlist Delta operated flights. For example, I was able to find a SLC-ATL-CDG-FCO outbound on Oct 7 and FCO-CDG-ATL-SLC return on either Oct 21 or 22 on a combination of Delta and Air France (if you can get the Alitalia CDG-FCO-CDG flights, that would give you a better schedule).

Partner awards will be able to come up with more, possibly better, routing combinations for you. One possible complication of redeeming one ticket and buying another is that the price of the purchased ticket may be higher if you try to duplicate the exact award itinerary versus some other combination of flights. In that case, you may want to consider taking separate flights.
Dec 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Patty - can ya stand one more?

For arguments sake, let's say I have a different friend that actually has Delta miles. What if they got the ticket in my name and then for whatever reason I had to cancel that ticket...who gets the redeposited miles, me or the original owner of the miles?

Thanks for finding those possible flights -- I am leary about Alitalia flights...thinking they might not be around in October 07.

Debi

Debi
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM

The miles would be redeposited back to the account from which they were originally redeemed.

For the award ticket issued by Delta, Delta would still be responsible for getting you to your destination in the event of any flight cancellations/changes by another carrier. Schedule changes can sometimes be used to your advantage. You may be able to get rebooked on a better itinerary than what you started out with and booking several months in advance almost guarantees that there will be some sort of schedule change.