Baggage Claim Question

Search

Baggage Claim Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baggage Claim Question

Can someone explain to me why everyone has to stand exactly next to the baggage claim conveyors so that:

1) I have trouble seeing the baggage going around because the bodies have formed a virtual wall, and

2) I have to ask them to move when I finally do see my bag because the bodies have formed a virtual wall

Maybe someone can explain why they do this so I can avoid feeling frustrated next time as I stand patiently (sensibly?) 6-10 feet back, wishing everyone else would do the same so that we can all have a clear view and free access to the belt...

:: sigh ::

Maybe I'm just frustrated 'cause I'm short and always right.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
mjz

Drives me nuts, especially after a long haul trip. To me, what's worse is when mom/dad/3 young kids make a human wall around the converor belt and the kids scream "is that one it - is that one it" - totally oblivious to those around them.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM

I agree with you completely and often have had the same thoughts. But most people especially when traveling had a tendency to be very selfcentered and inconsiderate of others. Years ago I do remember a couple of airports with yellow lines about three feet back and asked people to stay behind the line -- didn't work all that well.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:49 AM

One of my biggest pet peeves. When I catch sight of my bag & loudly say, "Excuse me" I've gotten dirty looks when I'm trying to get the bag off the belt by the jerks with their whole families standing in the way. I assume they think everyone else should just watch their bags go around until the rude ones' bags are off-loaded & they're on their way.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM
mjz

How about us polite travelers turn the tables and push the rude ones onto the conveyer belt if they continue with these shenanigans?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM

I can think of many reasons:

- If I am part of the wall, then I won't have your problem of being "behind the wall", right?

- I like to rest my legs on the ledge.

- I need to beat you to the rental car shuttle/taxi/whatever.

- Since my bags are "priority"-tagged, they will come out before yours. So, why don't YOU wait behind me.

- I am big and strong and like to help the short and weak to get their luggage off the carousel.

Anyways, so not only will I stand right at the belt, I also stand right downstream from where the baggage falls out. Ha! That can save me a minute or two, depending on how long the belt is.

BTW, if I am really bad, not only will I stand next to the belt, but so will MY LUGGAGE CART!

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Ah, so you're the one I "accidentally" bang on the ankle when I'm lugging my bag off the conveyor belt. That usually shifts 'em.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Well I know it's rude, but if my bag takes some of those folks SHOVED up against the belt out as it comes off so be it.... (And my bags are generally priority tagged so I do get to take some of you out. I make NO effort to race up to the baggage belt. I have already been crammed on a plane with you, I don't need to have you in direct contact waiting on my luggage)

(I have also been known to announce that "BLOCKING ACCESS TO THE BELT DOES NOT MAKE YOUR LUGGAGE FIRST OFF&quot
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Okay, seriously. This is what happened to me just 3 days ago, coming back from ATL to IAH.

I was sitting in coach, exit row. So, about half-way down the plane. I got off, went to bathroom to pee, then walked over to baggage claim.

Somehow, I was actually the first person on my plane to arrive there. And I was lucky that even though my bag wasn't priority-tagged, it came out right after those that are. So, I got my bag before most people even made it to the luggage claim.

[BTW, I did get put my foot up on the ledge to rest for a few minutes!]

Anyways, I am short and not strong. And perhaps I do walk kind of fast - by Houston standard. [In Hong Kong, I seem to be the slowest walker in the whole city.]
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I've learned to stand back because on United, the priority tagged bags come out last most of the time (except in Japan).

My main problem isn't usually the wall of people--it's trying to tell my black rollaboard from the 50 or so others coming off my flight. I've been waiting for my bag to die so I can buy something else, but it just keeps on going...
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Aha! rkkwan, I should have known it was you with the cart next to the conveyor! Next time, how about I give you a picture of my luggage? That way, you can put that cart to use and deliver my luggage TO me while I have a drink in one of the restaurants. Since you're so big and strong...

Oh, and "BLOCKING ACCESS TO THE BELT DOES NOT MAKE YOUR LUGGAGE FIRST OFF" ... I can't wait to try that!

...Mexico countdown: 3 weeks!
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM

If you can't carry your toothpaste or sunburn goo you will have to check your bag, and that adds to the bags that get checked. Thus we have more folks waiting for bags to get off the airplane. If we shitcan the TSA we will all get our bags quicker: those who carry on will have them right away and those who check will have fewer bags ahead of theirs.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ms_go - tie a ribbon to your bag handle, or stick colored tape on the bag.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM

Some possible answers.
1. Anxiety makes us all do things like this. We all have this gnawing doubt that we will ever see our luggage again and just the sight of it as soon as possible makes us feel better.

2. What is the parent with the little kids supposed to do with the kids during baggae claim time - send them off to an airport bar? Kids have been cooped up on plane for quite a while, hopefully behaving nicely, and this is their first taste of freedom in hours.

3. It is the same psychology that makes us press the elevator call button 6 times, even though it is already lit, if the elevator is very slow in arriving. (Admist it, we have all done that)

4. It is just the way crowds act - no different than trying to leave sports arenas, get on a train, etc.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:47 AM

What's the excuse when there are 2 parents traveling with the kids? They let them sit on the edge of the carousel with their hands on it (I have visions of the carousel starting up & little fingers getting pinched) & the whole danged family hovers around while people are trying to get their bags.

Even one adult traveling with kids can make them stay a few feet back & still see them AND if the bag is arriving.

Would they prefer the kid getting whacked in the head by a suitcase someone's trying to sling off the moving carousel?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM

At the airport in Stockholm, Sweden, they have drawn a line on the floor about three feet away from the baggage claim, which means "Stand Back" until you see your bag.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:19 AM
mjz

Maybe pinched fingers will teach both parents and kids a lesson! I'd like to travel with one of those tazer guns...

Please don't flame, just joking while on a never ending conference call.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Why not blame the airport designers instead? If they've built the baggage claim area large enough with long enough carousel, that will not be a problem.

And the airport management and baggage handlers too! Like I said, if the bags come out before the passengers, then there won't be a lot of people standing around.

And TSA for stupid carryon rules.

And the airlines for flying narrowbody planes with not enough overhead space.

Come to think of it, one easy way to solve the baggage claim problem is for the airlines to lose more luggage. Then fewer people will check their bags and problems solved!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Rkkwan for President!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM

You've hit on one of our pet peeves as well.

We look at the belt and go to the end as most people do crowd to be right where the bags appear. Only once did this cause a problem when a fellow picked up my husband's bag before we saw it and took it home overnight before realizing he had the wrong bag.

When my husband and I travel together I stand back and he retrieves and brings to me--no need for even two of us to be near the belt, much less the entire family. No need for anyone to be standing at the belt before it starts moving and luggage appears.

He can see over most of the crowd so he elbows through when necessary and gets a good swing lifting the bags off. I've learned to sling bags with wild abandon to clear the way.

When I am not just totally exhausted and traveling alone I sometimes play a game to pass the time. I first position myself about 3-4 feet from the belt in an open area. Then as people start to move in from each side, I slowly inch forward to keep them from getting in front of me (a well placed carryon bag on the floor helps). Half the time they end up tripping over the carryon bag as they keep trying to get in front of me. Others bump into me and seem surprised how well I stand my ground. (I'm short, but solid.) One actually tripped and fell up onto the ledge rkkwan had his foot up on.

And thank you to the few people who have helped me over the years when my bag was trapped up above another bag and I couldn't reach it or when the crowd blocked access and someone was kind enough to grab the indicated bag and pass it back to me.

I don't like to excuse people for rude behavior because of the anonymity of a crowd. I think that in such situations is where you see people's real personalities, what they would do if no one was looking or no one knew who they were. I try not to be as self absorbed as I was when I was a teenager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -