Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

MIAMI AIRPORT CHECK IN....Which check in for code share IB/AA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2024, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've now spent almost two hours trying to confirm RT flights from Miami to Madrid. After so much back and forth, and. misinformation on the phone, I've resolved my issues (AA agents told me that my return had been canceled, on and on....)

Once I found the my flights were in order, I asked where I should check in and got 2 conflicting answers from the AA agent and the IB agent, on the phone.
The outbound flight is a code share between Iberia and American. I bought my ticket online through Iberia.

American told me I need to check in at the Iberia check in, while Iberia told me that since AA operates the outbound flight, I need to check inn with American.

I am unfamiliar with Miami airport which I find sprawling and confusing, and these airlines have check-ins at different terminals, it appears from the map. And I have some trouble carrying luggage due to back issues so do not want to be wandering back and forth......

SO: I hope someone can tell me where I should direct the driver to drop me at the airport? American or Iberia.

To recap:

Tickets purchased online from Iberia and I have an Iberia booking code.
Outbound flight from Miami to Madrid is operated by American Airlines.

I always thought that passengers go to the counter of the airline from whom they purchased the ticket, which would be Iberia. But I know so little about any of this that I am now filled with confusion and not a little anxiety.

Please can someone offer me some help on this,, albeit, pretty minor issue.

Many, many thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 12:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
. . .
SO: I hope someone can tell me where I should direct the driver to drop me at the airport? American or Iberia.

To recap:

Tickets purchased online from Iberia and I have an Iberia booking code.
Outbound flight from Miami to Madrid is operated by American Airlines. . . .

You always check in at the airline that operates the flight - in this case apparently AA.

BTW you likely also have an AA PNR (booking code) - not sure where to find it on the Iberia website
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 01:33 PM
J62

I agree with janis 100% - you check in with the airline operating the flight. One can buy tickets from airlines such Iberia (oneworld-AA), Lufthansa (Star ALliance-UA), or Air France (skyteam-DL) from many different airports across the country where the foreign carrier has no presence at all....
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both SO much! I was really losing it today when they told me my return had been canceled....and unable to log into Iberia due to password issue (again!!) that they said they could not now resolve....unable to change a password (!?). But I must say that I waited only about a minute before getting to speak with the agent at Iberia.

....I feel so much better after reading what you both wrote..that's why this site is so great!!

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Feb 26th, 2024 at 02:11 PM.