Lounge Access Heathrow T5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 10 hour layover in Heathrow — looks like we will be arriving at T3 & departing from T5 on British Airways. Wondering if there is lounge access (I’m assuming near T5). With maybe showers & somewhere to relax fairly quietly for a few hours. Thanks in advance…. I’m a novice at long layovers 😂
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 04:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you flying Business or First Class or are you One World Emerald? And what airline are you flying in to terminal 3?

There are AA and BA Arrivals Lounges -- AA in terminal 3 and BA in terminal 5 if you qualify. Showers, food/beverages etc. There are also departure lounges in terminal 5 (also several in terminal 3 but since you are departing via T-5 that is where you'd want a departure lounge)

If you don't have One World eligibility there is a paid Aspire Lounge in terminal 5.

BUT which 10 hours? What times of day? That is a loooooong time to spend in lounges -- maybe look into a day room at the Sofitel at Terminal 5 . . .
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

AA flight lands at 12:10 pm, departure BA at 10:25 pm. Flying economy.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 05:37 PM

if it was me -- I'd either 1) if you think you won't be exhausted/ too jet lagged, take my bags over to Terminal 5 and check them in with BA, then take the Elizabeth line into London and have a look around have a late lunch/early dinner and head back out to LHR around 7 or 7:30 AM - or - 2) if you are flying in long haul over night and think you'll be fried, I'd head over yo T5 and get a room at the Sofitel. Because of the hours it could be a day rate, or a regular overnight room rate -- you'd just be checking out early.

The Aspire Lounge would be cheaper and does have showers (for an extra £20) so IF you think you can bear 7 or 8 hours in a lounge that's an option.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 03:49 PM
P_M

Janis, I'm curious about a couple of things. You said take the bags to T5 and check them in with BA, but won't the bags already be checked through by AA? Or were you referring to leaving carry-on bags with BA?

Also, what would you think of visiting Windsor on such a layover?
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by P_M
Janis, I'm curious about a couple of things. You said take the bags to T5 and check them in with BA, but won't the bags already be checked through by AA? Or were you referring to leaving carry-on bags with BA?

Also, what would you think of visiting Windsor on such a layover?

Yes - - It may not have been as clear as it could have been. Any checked bags will be transferred from AA to BA. I was talking about leaving carry-ons at Left Luggage so they don't have to lug a rollaboard around for hours.

Windsor is also a good idea - which always used to be my go-to suggestion for long LHR layovers. Though with the Elizabeth Line it is actually faster in to central London than the bus to Windsor.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 04:46 PM
P_M

Thanks Janis. I have a similar situation coming up with a 7 hour layover at LHR. I thought of leaving the airport, but I have Emerald status so I'll probably have a shower and chill out in the lounge.

Last edited by P_M; Feb 25th, 2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 05:09 PM

Which terminal(s)?
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 06:38 PM
P_M

I'm flying into T3, then out of T5.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 07:33 PM

Then probably what I'd do is use the AA Arrivals Lounge in Terminal 3 to have a shower and freshen up there then head over to Terminal 5. (there is also a BA arrivals lounge in T-5 but me personally I'd hit the the showers in T-3 before trekking over to T-5)

If you feel up to it and there is still enough time to head in to town, drop your carry on. But if your arriving flight is late or you are tired (or you imbibe in a bit too much champagne/mimosas in the AA Lounge ) I'd just stick to T-5 since you are Emerald and can use the First Wing / expedited security, and the Concorde Room (the First Class Lounge). The CCR is by far the best Lounge in Terminal 5 and probably only Cathay Pacific's First lounge in T-3 is nicer

Old Feb 25th, 2024, 08:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Note the AA arrivals lounge at T3 is landside, so you'd have to go through UK border controls before accessing it, then transfer landside to T5 and go through the whole departure game there.

Unless you plan to leave the airport, it's easier to transfer airside to T5 and use the lounges there.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 08:37 PM

True -- with the understanding that staying airside one still has to go through security. Sometimes its faster to transit landside (but you really don't know til the day so its sort of a crap shoot).

If you do go straight to T-5, the Concorde room has showers.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 04:59 AM
P_M

I've enjoyed reading all of these replies and I appreciate your insight.

On my trip home I have an overnight layover in London. I was going to book Sofitel bit it's been too many years since I was in Central London and I really want to go. I'll be arriving at 5pm and flying out the next day at 12:10pm from T5. I know to take the Elizabeth line but where's a good place to stay along that line? I want to stay near that line because I don't want to drag my luggage around on the tube. While in London I plan to walk along the Thames, see Parliament and Buckingham Palace and everything along the way.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 10:03 AM

The main Elizabeth line stations with good choice of nearby accommodations would be Paddington, Bond Street, Tottenham Court Rd, and Farringdon. Of those, the best ones for convenience to the river would be Bond Street which is on the Jubilee Line to Westminster on the north side of the river and Waterloo on the Southbank, or Tottenham Court Rd on the Northern Line to either Embankment on the north side and Waterloo / Southbank.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 10:19 AM
P_M

Sounds good, thanks Janis.