Search

Madrid-Barajas Airport Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid-Barajas Airport Transfer

Hi guys,

I have another question about this airport. If my daughter is arriving from NYC at 6:05 AM with a carryon bag only, what is the process for her to catch her flight from Madrid to Sevilla? Does she go through Passport Control, then walk to T4?

She has 90 minutes.

Thank you!
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Yes, she'll need to go through Passport Control. If they sold her a ticket with a 90 minute layover, then they expect that she would be able to make that connection (if it's all on the same reservation number). Good for her for just taking carry-on! That will certainly help facilitate her making that connection.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 03:14 AM
J62

I don't understand how having a carry-on only facilitates making a connection..... Never in my life has a checked bag slowed me down from getting to the next flight...
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 08:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by J62
I don't understand how having a carry-on only facilitates making a connection..... Never in my life has a checked bag slowed me down from getting to the next flight...
To possibly explain -- When arriving in the US one does see their checked bags even on connecting tickets. So some people may think things are handled the same way in Europe. For arrival in the States, traveling cabin bag only definitely DOES facilitate making a connecting.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 09:11 AM

SheŽll be arriving at the satellite Terminal T4S, will go through immigration/passport control there (it's a long walk to the immigration hall), there she'll find separate lines for EU and non-EU passport holders. If luckily, it won't take long, but early morning flights from the US often arrival at more or less the same time, and it depends on how many agents are on duty at that time, how many lanes are open. Then she'll proceed downstairs to take the people mover from T4S to T4 (the people mover takes about 4 minutes). She takes this underground train. It's not walkable.
At T4 she'll need to go through security once again, then move on to find her gate for Seville in the huge departures area.

If all goes well, the process should take under 90 minutes, but in high season, it has taken us that and we've needed to hustle straight to our gate and found that the boarding process had already started. In December, the traffic should be lighter.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 08:32 PM

J62: Agree, because bags should be checked through to final destination, so no need to wait for them in connecting airport.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! She does not have a connecting flight. She booked her ticket going into Madrid. Now, she needs to travel to Seville.

American has changed her flight so she is now looking at all other options, hopefully some with more connection time.