Lufthansa to Munich then Rome...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying Lufthansa FF first class from LAX to Munich then Munich to Rome. Does anyone know if you are kept in a holding area in Munich or do you go through customs there & retrieve your luggage?? There is supposed to be a scheduled air traffic controller strike on Sept 6th in Rome so we may be on the ground in Munich for awhile. I'm praying they cancel it but if not I was wondering what the Munich airport has to offer! Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:57 PM

You will go through immigration/passport control in Munich, and customs in Rome. Your bags will be checked through to Rome. Munich airport is nice; my favorite for transfers in Europe. If you're flying first class, then you'll be able to use one of Lufthansa's lounges there. There should be info on the Lufthansa website.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Hi Peggy - Agree with ms_go, but would add that you'll probably have to go through 3 passport/immigration check points in Munich. At least that's happened to us the last 3 times we've been through Munich (as well as the last 4 times in Frankfurt). They're not particular onerous, but can be a little time-consuming depending on time of day. Munich's airport is extremely nice with good shops, etc, as well as very efficient and is easy to get around.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your answers. I went to the website & downloaded some maps & phone numbers to be prepared. The web pictures look very nice. Thanks again!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM

how long is the air traffic controller strike scheduled for? we just changed our Alitalia reservations from boston to rome to Lufthansa because Alitalia is scheduled to strike on sept 7, the day before we are flying!
Also, how is the transfer in frankfurt to go to rome??
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:27 PM

I just read this morning that the general aviaiton strike in Italy planned for September 6th has been cancelled. However Alitalia employees have restated this will be on strike on September 7th. This per the Internation Herald Tribune. The website for this info is: www.iht.com/travel/

Anyone being in Italy in September might want to read this article as there are two other strikes planned also by various Italian transportation workers. Hopefully they will be cancelled but one never knows. Best regards.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly...I sure hope that is true! But I don't think the Trasporti Aereo is the same as Generale Trasporti. I've been watching http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/ & haven't seen them revote the air traffic controller strike for ENAV - Acc Roma on the 6th yet. Fingers crossed and if anyone knows more please post!!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

They just posted it on the Italain Commission website...the air traffic controller strike on Sept 6th at Rome airports is cancelled!!! I'm so happy!!!