LAX to MIA to MAD

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LAX to MIA to MAD

What kind of problems might we have at MIA? Arrive 2pm leaving 6:30pm. Using FFmiles in 1st class. What is the AC like in int'l terminal?
Thanks for your input
Mary
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:11 AM

There is no international terminal.

Your outbound will be just like connecting dom to dom. You get off the plane and walk over to the another gate.

Your inbound, assuming it's the same route, you will go through Immigration/Customs, drop off your checked luggage outside the customs door and walk out to landside at which point you will have to go through security to get back to the airside.

The 2 ACs are very nice in MIA, but they are not First Class Lounges. Since you're traveling internationally ask for drink coupons at the AC check in desk. Each passenger should get at least 2, more if you go back and ask again. There are some free snacks, coffee, tea, juices and water. Soups/sandwiches are available for purchase.

Your connection time is fine so don't worry about that, although it maybe a loooooong walk between the terminals.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Just thought about this, but there is no First class on the MIA-MAD route, only Business class.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Disregard the last post. AA is using a 777 on that route, so there is First class.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I've made the connection in MIA to and from MAD. While the renovation of terminal A may make a difference eventually, for now, I recommend you avoid it. You can go non-stop from LAX to BOS or IAD and get connections to MAD with a much better experience than in MIA. Boston does involve a change of terminals and another security screening. I am not certain but I think the connections available at IAD are withing a few gates of your arrival.

You could also connect with no outbound change of terminals at ORD. At DFW, the arrival from LAX may involve a change of terminals, but than can be done within security via the "Terminal Link" train. DFW-MAD service begins, I think, May 1.

If you are stuck with your award miles routing, you have enough time to make the change at MIA. But, you will need to leave the secured part of the terminal, likely D or E, and walk to the Iberia desks at G. There, you can get Iberia format boarding passes and an invitation to the lounge inside security on that concourse.

Do not wait in the AC and then expect to get through security reasonably quickly to get your plane. While "wait times" are advertised to have been reduced to less than 20 minutes at MIA, our experience has been that is only the time to get through the ID and boarding pass check. That is followed by another 20 minute line to get to the hand baggage screening, followed by a 5 minute walk to gates.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM

It's very possible the OP is flying AA all the way to MAD, in which case no need to leave the secured area.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Flagship Lounge at MIA has reopened. Airside, E concourse, near the AC lifts, IIRC.