Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

France to Newark-is a 1 hourlayover enough time to get through customs?

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book a Business Elite Continental flight from CDG- arrives at Newark about an hour before the connecting domestic flight. Anyone done this? Is it really enough time to clear customs? Must you collect your luggage from the Paris flight and then clear customs? Thanks.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Here are the procedures:

- Immigration
- Collect bags
- Customs
- Recheck baggage
- Reclear security

If you're US citizen or resident, immigration should not take long. Last time it took me about 3 minutes.

If you're flying BF, your bags should come out first. But I have no idea how long that will take.

Customs no problem unless you have stuff to declare and/or they pick you for inspection.

Recheck bags shouldn't be a problem.

Terminal C in EWR has three sets of security screeners. CO Elites and First Class flyers can use the shorter "Elite Access lines" through security. The one for closest to the International Arrival exit (for gates 120-139) are often the most busy. If lines are long (unlikely for the Elite line), walk straight to the other two entrances - even if your next flight departs from 120-139.

If you're connecting to Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas or Washington (DCA/IAD), you need to take the SkyTrain and go to Terminal A before going through security, as your flight departs there.

The walk to most gates within Terminal C is not that long - 10-15 minutes at the most. The train to Terminal A takes about 5 minutes, and the gates should be pretty close (never been there, only looking at terminal map).

I think one hour is enough if you're US citizen/resident, even with checked luggage. No luggage and you will have time to spare. If you're visiting the US, then I'd worry. CO will put you on the next flight if you can't make the connection, but you may lose your FC seat if it's fully booked with paid customers.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Let me clarify a few things as it wasn't quite clear in my reply.

- BF = BusinessFirst. That's CO's international business product. [Business Elite is the name for Delta's equivalent.]

- FC = domestic First Class.

- There are three sets of security entraces for Terminal C at EWR. Each set has seperate lines for regular and "Elite" passengers, and you can use the Elite line. [Even if the line look long, they usually move pretty fast.]
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Great information.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM

What about the reverse? I'm flying from PIT to EWR then to AMS. How much time should I give for connections at EWR? Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM

irishdame - Connecting from domestic to international at EWR is really no different from domestic-to-domestic. Your incoming and outgoing flights both use Terminal C, and no need to reclear security.

Even if you're very unlucky to have gates really really far apart, it'll still take no more than 15 minutes to walk between the gates. Most likely less.

Last month, I had a similar connection. Connection time was 1hr10 minutes. My 1st flight left 45 minutes late, and we were put on hold by air traffic control for about 10 minutes. I still make the connection with about 15 minutes to spare.