Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

JFK Terminal 8 to Terminal 7 transfer in 1.5 hours??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly from Boston through JFK to Madrid on the 28th. We will arrive at Terminal 8 at 4:30 pm and our flight leaves Terminal 7 at 6:00 pm. I just heard that at JFK you have to get on a train between terminals and then go back through security. Will we have enough time to do this? On the way home we have 3 hours so I am a little more comfortable on that flight, though it sounds like we will have to go through customs and then get to our connecting terminal. I really appreciate any advice from people who have flown through JFK before!
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
J62

It'll take up to 10min to walk from your T8 arrival gate to the AirTrain, then the AirTrain ride from T8 to T7 will take all of about 60sec, maybe a little less - it's just one stop on the loop train.

90min is plenty of time.

AA and Iberia are both OneWorld alliance members. AA will check your bags all the way through to Madrid, and should also be able to issue your boarding pass in Boston.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM

You should be OK. The Airtrain loops around fairly quickly. You'll wait 8 - 10 minutes, tops. I assume your bags will go from Boston to Madrid, so you won't be burdened with waiting for baggage or lugging them to the next terminal.

Airtrain is free between terminals. Ask an employee (they are always standing on the platform) which train to take from 8 to 7 as it should be only one stop, so you don't end up wasting a lot of time by going the wrong way (I find that part very confusing at JFK).

Good luck, and enjoy Madrid - I know I did!
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM

It sounds to me that the two previous posters haven't done this type of trip a whole lot of times. Their counsel is fine in theory, but on far shakier ground in practice.

The problem is not in getting from T8 to T7 and through security: as stated, this will likely take no more than 30 mins, including various waiting times. The real issue is in getting from Logan Airport to JFK on time.

You'll be flying on American Eagle, where delays are common. The flight that you're taking, AA4662, had an <u>average</u> delay of 38 minutes over the past 2 months. If the weather does not cooperate -- that is, if it's very windy, if there are any thunderstorms in the area, or if there are low clouds/visibility -- then it is almost certain that your flight will be delayed. Unfortunately, it's obviously impossible to know the weather in advance.

If I were you, I'd pay very close attention to the weather forecast. Remember that windy weather can delay flights every bit as much as more obvious stuff (snow, etc.). If it looks like questionable weather, I would go to Logan mid-morning, and ask to get on an earlier flight. My (strong) guess is that AA would accommodate you if they have space available -- after all, it will save them aggravation if your scheduled flight does in fact get delayed. In this case, be as willing to fly to LGA as to JFK, if you can get on a flight that will arrive at/before 3.00pm (preferably earlier). Going to LGA is a bit of a pain -- you'll have to collect your bags, take a bus (about $12) or taxi (about $25) to JFK, and then check in again -- but at least you'll make your flight.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 08:08 AM

<i>Ask an employee (they are always standing on the platform) which train to take from 8 to 7 as it should be only one stop, so you don't end up wasting a lot of time by going the wrong way (I find that part very confusing at JFK).</i>

The All Terminals train is the one that makes a clockwise loop and will take the OP from T8 to T7 in one stop. The Jamaica Station and Howard Beach trains will head away from the airport.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with rizzuto. JFK gets lots of delays for incoming flights. We always take an early shuttle to get there in case of cancellations and/or delays. AA has always been good about accommodating changes.