international checkin cutoff?

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
international checkin cutoff?

We are flying San Jose (SJC) to O'Hare, then O'Hare to CDG Paris. After the pet boarding opens, we expect to arrive about 1 hour 45 minutes ahead to check in at San Jose, a small airport. We would arrive at the checkin counter 1 1/2 hours before our flight at the latest.

The American website recommends 2 hours for international, but what is the minimum? I can't find it anywhere. And do we go by the international minimum or domestic, since we are going to ORD first?

I've only done international once 4 years ago pre 9/11. thanks! (we fly on a Monday morning so if this isn't enough time the pets have to board Sat and this will add 2 more days to their not so happy boarding time.)
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:03 PM

I've never been to SJC, but AA operates a mini-hub there, with even a non-stop to Tokyo. But anyways, 1.5 hours is fine. There's really no set rule as to when's an "international minimum". It's simply the time they need to check your passport (takes 15 seconds), and probably more time to screen your checked luggage.

So, don't worry. Your plan is more than fine.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM

I heard something about 15 minutes rule, not sure if it applies to your case... Have you tried to call AA 800 number? Usually they are helpful.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:15 AM

On international flights orginating in the U.S., what I've seen is that Northwest wants people IN THEIR SEATS 30 minutes prior to departure. As for check-in, I've been doing it online and so the two-hour recommendation is essentially mute. Is that option open to you?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:04 PM

From AA's conditions of carriage
http://www.aa.com/content/customerSe...Carriage.jhtml

a) "Baggage acceptance cutoff times mean that customers must present themselves and their baggage to an airline representative for check-in no later than the stated cutoff times for the departure airport.

Cutoff time for baggage check-in is 30 minutes before departure for all airports in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands with the following exceptions:
Chicago - O'Hare (ORD) 40 minutes
Denver, Colorado (DEN) 45 minutes
Dulles International (IAD) 40 minutes
Las Vegas, Nevada (LAS) 45 minutes
Los Angeles (LAX) 40 minutes
Miami, Florida (MIA) 45 minutes
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (MKE) 45 minutes
New York JFK, New York (JFK) 45 minutes
Orlando, Florida (MCO) 40 minutes
San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) 40 minutes "

So, the absolute min. check in time is 30 min. at SJC

b) "You must be on board the aircraft and in your assigned seat at least 10 minutes before scheduled departure time."

In other words, arriving at the airport 90 minutes before departure is absolutely OK according to your contract with AA. It however doesn't guarantee anything unless you respect points a) and b).

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I've had American turn several of our travelers away 59 minutes prior to an international departure. Would not allow them to check in, end of story. So, apparently their cut off is 1 hour.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM

I just checked Continental - their cut-off time 60 minutes! Thank you Bobbi and Andre for posting this! I wouldn't know and wouldn't think of checking this! Urrggghhhh....
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. We will definitely be checked in over an hour in advance so I think we're OK.

I looked all over the American website and couldn't find that link- thanks Andre.

We usually fly United or Northwest- It's been several years since I've done AA. I couldn't reach a real person on the 1-800 number and gave up. (Anyone know the secret?) I did manage to reconfirm my flight itinerary which wasn't necessary, LOL.