AA Admiral's Club in SJU

Search

AA Admiral's Club in SJU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA Admiral's Club in SJU

Returning from a cruise on a Sunday afternoon with parents and in-laws(in their 80's). I've heard that San Juan airport is just a nightmare. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a one day pass (total cost $200) to use the American Airlines Admiral's Club to get out of the traffic? Anyone been there? Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I've never been to the SJU AC so I can't tell you anything about that specific club, but $200 is a lot of money just for a nicer chair. You still have to pay for drinks and for any food they may have.
And you have to remember that the AC may also be busy.

I'm a member but I use it all the time. Most of the times it is a nice sanctuary but there are times when it's just as busy as the airport restaurants/bars.

The decision will be yours, but what I would do is to check-in your luggage and then take a quick cab ride to the city. Enjoy some nice outdoor cafe and the total bill will be a lot less than the AC daypass for the 6 of you.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like a better idea. Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM

The AA club in SJU is nice and spacious, but then again so is the regular part of the airport. I wouldn't say that airport is a nightmare at all (compared to Miami or Dallas, for example for connecting). When I have used the AA club at holiday times in SJU it was full of families with screaming kids clammering for the free snack food, so hardly nicer than the regular part of the airport. If you have time, you might consider the short taxi ride to the Ritz Carlton and have breakfast or lunch by the pool(cost was maybe $15 for taxi each way). It's very close. We did that last time we went through SJU instead, even though we are AA club members.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Sunnyboy

The Admirals Club in SJU has comfortable chairs but aside from free coffee, tea and soft drinks there's little in the way of "free" food (depending on the time you might find apples, cookies and/or a pretzel & plantain chip mix). You can purchase other food snacks and sandwiches for about the same prices as anywhere else in the airport. It gets very crowded on Sunday as that's the day most cruise ship passengers are traveling home so you won't really "get out of the traffic" and it certainly is not worth spending $200 for one time access.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I agree, as well, that SJU AC is nice to spend time in IF you have a membership. I could never see paying $200 for a few hours use of the club. The outer areas of the airport at SJU are not as crowded and uncomfortable as MIA or other large airports.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

We can possibly take an "Old and New San Juan" shore excursion after we dock that will deliver us and our luggage to the airport at 12:30 for our 2:38 flight. That solves the luggage problem, and I'm hoping that most of the crowds will be gone by then. Do you think that will give us enough time to get through security?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Since most international flights request a two hour prior check-in I would think that would give you enough time. The airport may still be very busy so if you arrive and there is a really long line for check-in I would suggest you request that an agent bump you up in line in order to make your flight. You should be fine with two hours, though.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM

<b>Statia</b>,

International?????

AFAIK, flying between US mainland and Puerto Rico is no different than flying between NYC and Chicago.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM

AA, when I check in at JFK bound for SJU they consider it an international flight. I know because I've been curtly informed of this fact by the agent when I've done everything required for a domestic flight instead.

I guess that they consider SJU a US terrirtory, rather than being part of the domestic US, which is actually the case.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM

The agent gave you a lot of BS and misinformation. Don't believe every agent. 1/2 of the time they don't even know where some destinations are (geographically).

It's a purely domestic flight.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:04 AM

The thing is that it's happened to me more than once. Also, the JFK to SJU flight departs from the international terminal at JFK. So, I dunno. At any rate, I would be at SJU two hours before any flight since that airport can get rather crowded at times. JMO.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what makes a terminal international in the US when you are flying out?

There is no immigration/passport check. is there?

All international AA flights leave out of domestic terminals in JFK, LGA, ORD, LAX, etc.....

I have flown out of JFK many times domestically and internationally and both times I've flown from 8 and 9. So which one is the international?

AA may concentrate most of the longer flights out of one terminal, bur it does not make it international.

Once again, SJU is a domestic flight and it's treated as such. You do not go through immigration/customs upon landing in SJU or upon return in JFK. I believe there is agricultural check, but that is true of Hawaii as well.

I do agree with you on the check-in time (2 HOURS IS NOT A REQUIRENMENT, IT IS A SUGGESTION ONLY), but realistically it is a mess after few cruise ships pull in on the same day.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I guess you've never tried to check in for SJU at JFK and been told, &quot;I'm sorry, you're in the wrong terminal. You need to go to the international terminal.&quot; Not a fun scenario. I'm just stating my experience and that's the last I'm going to comment on it.

As I said before, I would check in at SJU two hours prior no matter where I'm flying, which was the topic of the question in the first place. That is ONLY my humble opinion, and I'm sure I'll be wrong on that, as well.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM

International travel requirements - In some cases a proof of citizenship such as birth certificate together with official picture ID, but that's slowly being replaced by passports plus in many cases visas issued by the country you intend to visit. Upon landing in the country you are required to proceed through immigration and customs and the officials have an absolute right to refuse you entry for any reason they want. That's international travel.

Domestic travel requirements - A government issued ID with a picture, such as a drivers license, Military ID, etc. Upon landing at your destination you are allowed to proceed to wherever you wish without explaining yourself to any authorities.

I don't know how much more simpler I could make this point.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM

AA, I'm not going to keep hashing this. You always give good travel advice and I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm not quite sure why it is that you have it in for me today, but I'm only stating what my personal experience has been. Perhaps the agents I dealt with didn't know what they were talking about, or perhaps they did. It's just my experience going thru SJU.

&lt;Message: Statia,

International?????

AFAIK, flying between US mainland and Puerto Rico is no different than flying between NYC and Chicago.&gt;

If you take a look at aa.com you will find that the Netsaver fares from the continental US to SJU are considered international. I didn't write it, they did.

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...tentRepository
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Sorry, I meant to say flights between the continental US to SJU AND vice versa are considered international.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:57 AM

I give up. There is nothing more I can say.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I give up, too. How 'bout we agree to disagree? Friends?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Always