Search

Airport clubs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Udai

Airport clubs

I see that Travelocity has a deal whereby enrolling in their Premium service entitles you to free passes at the US Airways and AA clubs. I can't seem to find anything at AA that lists what cities it has clubs in. Do you think these clubs are worth the price? Thnaks,<BR>-U

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Gregory

I assume that you do not have access through any frequent flyer programs that you may be in.<BR>If you have a US American Express Platinum card I think you can get access to CO/NW clubs when flying with them.<BR>The main benefits atre you have a separate and quiet area to relax in prior to the flight with refreshments provided free of charge ( including alcohol) and snacks.It is useful in an event of a delay rather than hanging about in the general lounge.<BR>I suppose it all depends on how much the Premium service is and how often you will fly.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:43 PM
JJ

At least AA's clubs have gotten so expensive that they are less and less crowded and less and likely to have families with children running off steam and gobbling the nibbles. This may appeal to you. It is nice to have a retreat from the terminal and access to email, etc. It's a nice perq that got out of reach of average travellers pretty quickly (I think it was $400 per person per year at last billing -- we quit).<BR><BR>What does Travelocity's Premium service cost you?<BR><BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 01:52 PM
JJ

Me again. Go to aa.com, then to "programs and services," then to "airport and fleet information," then to "premium clubs and lounges" (or some such) and you can see a pull-down list of airports with Admiral's Clubs.<BR><BR>FYI: On United, if you have an upgrade to business class, you can use their club lounge for that trip only. Don't know if AA does that -- wouldn't expect so but might be pleasantly surprised.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Udai

The Travelocity Preferred is something like $79 per year, which gets you one admission to AA clubs and one to US Air's. I didn't know AE Platinum allows me to use CO/NW -- thanks for that tip. If I join can I bring my wife?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Gregory

Hi Udai,<BR><BR>The AE card only allows the holder to access the club when travelling with the respective airline. However, I belive you can sign your wife up to be a suplementary Platinum card holder (free as it is included in the AE platinum card annual fee) and then she can accompany you in ( showing both cards).

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Wild Bill

The poster above is wrong. The terms of the AMEX Platinum Card (U.S.) allows the card holder/ticket holder to bring up to 2 guests who are also ticket holders in with him. There is no extra charge.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Gregory

Oopps!!<BR><BR>Sorry Wild Bill,<BR><BR>I was referring to the terms of the UK<BR>Amx Platinum card. I did not think that the US card was that different in the terms apart from the obvious arlines.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Coco

Due to 9/11 and recent cost cutting, American has closed some of its clubs...Cleveland; Detroit; Honolulu; Houston; Nashville and Phoenix.<BR>Others following suit are United, Delta and U.S. Air. Northwest did not close any as far as I know.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Jim Rosenberg

I've found the Northwest WorldClubs membership to be a decent value, but it depends on the type of flyer that you are. In my case, I fly out of a regional airport and connect at a hub, so that often means some time spent on connections coming and going. The fee structure is on a sliding scale based on FF status that allowed me to pick up a three-membership for less than $200/year. When that cost is weighed against comfort, convenience, potential alternative costs of refreshments in an airport, etc., it doesn't work out too badly for me. Through affiliation agreements, the membership provides access to more than 100 airport lounges around the world. Since two guests are allowed, it's also a nice gesture for any traveling companions you may have, including family members.<BR><BR>Some clubs offer short-term trial memberships and that's not a bad thing to check out if you have a specific trip planned where lounge access would be particularly handy such as a long lay-over or multiple connections, international flights where check-in requirements can be quite early, etc. <BR><BR>