Inside airport transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with an elderly lady who cannot walk long distances. Can someone tell me how to arrange for one of those golf-cart things for transport to the gate (at BWI and FLL)? I assume I should tip the driver. Is $5 enough? Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:30 AM

This is pretty simple - airlines do it all the time.

When you arrive at the airport just tell the SkyCap or your airline Check-in Agent you need assistance getting to the gate. They will arrange for either a wheelchair or an electric cart. Also, before your flight 9when you are checking in) you can even ask the Check-in Agent or the Gate Agent to arrange for wheelchair assistance when you arrive at your destination and they will be waiting for you at the gate when you deplane.

Lastly, you can call your airline ahead of time and have thm make a notation on your "reservation" that you'll need assistance.

Most likely you friend will be transported in a wheelchair but in some instances you'll be taken in an electric cart - a lot depends on the distances and the availability. Usually the electric carts travel between gates inside the secure area and wheelchairs are used to take people from the ticket counters, through security and to the departure gate. Either way, your friend won't have to walk more than a few steps. If she is very incapasitated they have a special wheel chair that they use to take her to her seat on the plane.

As for tipping, $5 is a bit on the low side, especially if the Skycap (wheelchair) spends a long while with you. I usually tip $10 when I travel with my elderly mother. The electric cart drivers (when going between gates) usually refuse tipps but if they do accept $5 would be plenty because those trips are usually short.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

--Just what I needed to know. Thanks so much for your help.