Iceland air carryon question

Nov 10th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Iceland air carryon question

How strict are they?

last time I checked my bag. This time Iím not. Itís an ďAmericanĒ sized carryonónot the extra small but the slightly larger, if you know what Iím talking about. Iím worried the wheels put it just over 21 in, but itís hard to tell.

otherwise, I can take my backpack, but then Iím not going to have any room to bring shopping back plus, my back has been seriously bothering me, so Iím not sure I want to tote a backpack everywhere. On the other hand, that might be more helpful as I remember there being a lot of steps/cobblestones last time.

trip is 25 daysóVienna, Prague, Germany. Thank you!
Nov 10th, 2019, 10:37 PM

>> I’m worried the wheels put it just over 21 in, but it’s hard to tell<<

Why is it hard to tell? Serious question. Take a tape measure, measure it from the bottom of a wheel to the top of the handle. It is either the right size or it isn't. If your bag is a typical '21 incher' then it is likely closer to 22 inches - or even 23" in the worst case.

If it is too big, go to Marshall's/Ross/TJMaxx/SundayMorning and buy a cheap '19 inch' rollaboard which will be 20 to just under 21 inches all in. Shouldn't cost more than maybe $30-ish
Nov 11th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Lol. Itís an old one, in my storage unit, because the one I usually use I lent to a relative without thinking it through. It was part of a set I got for a gift in high school. Almost positive itís 22-23, but canít access the unit until tomorrow morning.

Iíll try Marshallís tomorrow. Hadnít occurred to me that it would be that cheap!
Nov 11th, 2019, 08:31 AM

Depends on your area -- but Ross would probably be the cheapest, Marshall's generally has a little more selection, TJMaxx (sister company of Marshall's) tends to have slightly pricier brands. But all should have some well under $50. Haven't looked at Tuesday Morning in ages but they often had bags on clearance.

Meant to add -- last one I bought was at (I think Marshall's) was a little under $40 but there were cheaper ones that didn't meet my specific needs. I teach packing classes so am buying new bags all the time for demo purposes.

Last edited by janisj; Nov 11th, 2019 at 08:34 AM.
Nov 12th, 2019, 04:23 PM
mms

IME, Iceland Air is very strict with carryon size. Have you looked at their website for dimensions? Most people just look for 21" or 22" etc, but Iceland air also mentions the other dimensions, and one of those being only 7.8" deep, which is very small. I can do carryon only for any trip except the Alaskan bush with just a normal 20 or 21" bag, but not on Iceland Air, I have to check it.
Nov 13th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

I noticed that yesterday, and yes, youíre right, thatís an issue. Not sure what Iím going to do yet.
Nov 14th, 2019, 05:55 AM
mms

marvelousmouse--We are flying there this summer and as much as I hate to check a bag, that is what we are going to have to do. At least you know the dimensions to can shop accordingly. Are you headed to Iceland or is that just a stop? We are doing the ring road this summer, so looking forward to going back and seeing more.