Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How to redeem Delta Skymiles for Continental flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that Delta Skymiles can be redeemed for Continental flights yet I can't figure out how to do this.
When I'm on Delta's website, in the awards seat search, I can't get the system to show me anything other than Delta flights (even though I did not check the "Delta flights only" box) I noticed on the Delta site that there was a temporary inability to book awards on Continental, but that was until Jan 21st only.

When I check awards travel on Continental's site, I see plenty of availability on the days and flights I'm considering. Knowing the exact dates and times where there's availability, I entered that information on Delta's page, hoping to force it into showing me those flights, but no luck. Any ideas? Of course I will call Delta at some point, but I always feel like I'm getting a run around when I do, and if there's some obvious fix I'm missing, I'd love to know.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Call DL Skymiles.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM

The seats available for Continental FF may not be the same as those available to those using Delta miels.

Keith
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I find that if SaverPass seats are available for non-elites on continental.com, they are available to be claimed by partner FF awards. In general terms, only.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM

I'm having problems with DL's award search showing CO flights as well. However, the flights are available when I call DL.

I think this may be related to the recent CO fare class change as earlier this month I had no trouble seeing CO flights online.

I know DL couldn't book any CO seats between Jan 17-21 due to the fare class change. They can now book them by phone but it seems that online award search hasn't been updated/resolved.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Around last May, I booked a flight to Paris for September, using Skymiles on Delta.com, however the flight was on a Continental plane. At the time of the booking online, the list of potential flights that were presented in the search included Delta and Continental (so it was my choice).

In mid-September, hubby had a stent, so I needed to postpone the trip for a month. When I looked at late October/Nov Skymiles flights, there were NO Continental flights displayed. I looked at Continental.com and noted a couple of flights with times that I liked, then I called Skymiles to ask them how I could rebook my flight and keep it on Continental (b/c my husband's ticket was a paid reserv. on Continental.com). The agent researched the flights I gave her and was able to change my flight to one of those. She waived the 'phone booking' fee (but not the change fee).

So you might have to ask a Skymiles agent to book the flight if you want to go on Continental.

p.s. Continental applied the change fee and sent an email voucher for the drop in airfare for H's flight. Our trip insurance reimbursed us for all the fees, which totaled more than the insur. premium cost, so 'worth it'.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:26 AM

<font color="RED">UPDATE! </font>
Got an email from Continental that they are leaving SkyTeam and joining Star Alliance. This may be why Delta is not offering Continental as a choice for award flights now.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM

CO flights are still available for Skymiles award. Just that they may not be available on their website.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I'm seeing some but not all CO award flight options available on delta.com now. Also instead of showing up with the class of service next to the flights, it shows up as CO followed by the fare class, i.e. &quot;CO.X&quot; for a coach award. At least, it's semi-working now
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Haven't had a chance to call Delta yet, but most people here seem to have noticed some sort of problem. I'll recheck online and then call Delta.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I do now see Continental options when I look on Delta's site&gt;
Now that Delta is putting earlier expiration dates on its miles (and I hardly fly Delta anymore)and Continental may be leaving the alliance, I want to cash in ASAP.
Thanks for the suggestions, all