Heathrow: getting from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have seen others of my worried posts about the whole flying thing-- and thanks once more to all who've responded. Newest question:

In checking my flight info, I see that on our return, we fly from Nice to Heathrow into Terminal 1. Then we fly from Heathrow home to Phila from Terminal 4. How much of an ordeal is it to get from one terminal to another? How much time does it usually take? Any "heads up" to watch for?

THANK YOU.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When you get off at T1, look for the "flight connections" sign. You'll go through security and be directed to a bus that will take you to T4.

The big source of delay is the security check, which can be horrendous at times, not that bad at others.

I would never allow less than 2 hours to complete the task, 2 1/2 - 3 more comfortably. Worse case is you'll have lots of time to spend at the Heathrow mall, where your $s/£s don't go very far these days.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM

In addition to the security lines, the waiting area for the T1 -> T4 bus is a horrid and miserable place, and the T4 runs on a schedule where it leaves 29 minutes after I get to the bus waiting area.

At one time, it was more expeditious (less dreadful, actually) to exit T1 (through immigration/customs), take the free train to T4, and enter the secure area of the terminal with the check-in customers. This was especially useful if you had a Fast-Track pass for immigration. But they closed down the train service for a while (probably because it made the T1 -> T4 transfer too pleasurable); I don't know if the service has been restored.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Uh, oh: BA has left us just under 2 hrs to make the connection. I sure hope nothing goes amiss. I am dreading the whole thing. (But do appreciate the feedback.)
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM

<<< But they closed down the train service for a while (probably because it made the T1 -> T4 transfer too pleasurable); >>>

The FREE HEX connection between T123 & T4 wasn't stopped.

The PAY FOR Tube connection between the two sets of terminals was stopped because of the work they were doing for T5 but that finished almost a year ago & the Tube has been running between all terminals since then
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

I'm confused now. Bus? Train? So: what is the best (easiest/quickest) way to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4?

Thank you.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The difference between bus and train is whether you go through UK immigration ("landside&quot and move on your own between terminals via train or tube, v. staying inside security ("airside&quot and transferring between terminals as an international transit passenger (bus.)

If it's all on one ticket, BA will "protect" you in the event you misconnect, so I don't see any great advantage in going landside.

Make sure anything in your luggage that you desperately need (medications, jewelry, etc.) is brought onto the plane with you. BA's lost baggage fiasco at Heathrow shows no signs of abating.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM

You should also be aware that at Heathrow they are very vigilant about enforcing the 1 piece of carry on luggage period.....as noted the big hang up is the bus to get from T1 to T4...they don't increase the bus schedule even if there is a long queue....then the security check once again...it is an outrageous experience that can use up much of the seemingly long enough 2 hours to connect...ugh ugh ugh.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 11:36 AM

In answer to this question in both your posts. You have gotten specific help here in the transfer. 2 hours should be plenty of time.

I did it last week, arriving at LHR at around 5:30am on Thursday in Terminal 1, going with everyone else to the security check where you once again have to put liquids, computers, etc. separate and have 1 carryon. Then on the other side of security you will see the airline desks, but if you already have your boarding pass and know the flight is leaving from Terminal 4, just follow the signs straight through the lobby to an escalator or the lift to the bottom floor and get in the queue for the bus that comes about on the half hour, get on, ride, and get off, go up and look for your gate. A hassle, but not horrible.

My experience last week was no line so early at security, then about 15 minute wait for the bus, then smooth sailing from there.

The previous week I came into/out of Terminal 1 on a Saturday afternoon, once again going through security, but this time the wait was at least 15 minutes in the security line. They opened as many lanes as they could and tried to move it along, but lots of people had spread out their belongings into more than one bag and had to consolidate; others had bottles of drinks again that they had placed in their carryon that had to be removed; so the process was slow. I don't think you will have a problem, but if your flight into LHR is late and you end up with a really tight connection, show your boarding pass time to one of the security guys. They were pulling some people out to go through the special needs line along with the wheelchairs, etc.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! (I've made notes and will cross my fingers.)