got tix - can I sell?

Search

got tix - can I sell?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got tix - can I sell?

I won a promise for pair of tickets from a major airline, but I can't use them.
See, I was the grand prize winner in a lottery (yes, it's legitimate), and received a letter that I can redeem it for a pair of tickets. The name of the airline is on the letterhead, but my name is not, since it's a generic form letter.
It states that the tickets are non-transferable, but I wonder if I can sell this letter to someone, which they can use to get the tickets? Perhaps a travel agent can tell me, or someone who has had such an experience? thanks! wishIcango
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:49 AM

<I wonder if I can sell this letter to someone>
Hmm! hubrid dude never posted here before.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM

hydribdude.....I think the purpose of the airline donating the tickets was charitable, right? So how would they feel if they turned to see you making a profit off their charitable donation?OK, so you bought a lottery ticket.All, well most, airline tickets are non transferrable.(I learned yesterday that Sun Country Airlines allows name changes for a fee, thus transferrable.)So that part means that once the tickets are issued, they cannot be changed into someone else's name.Personally I would have a hrad time selling something that was intended to be charitable.On E-Bay, you could probably get your price.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your opinion. The lottery was, I guess, to raise money for an organization, and the grand prize was these tickets. So I don't feel bad about selling or, rather, passing them on to someone else who can best use them.
So the question remains...can I sell this prize to someone? thx HD
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:38 AM

hd......Yes, and E-Bay is probably your best bet.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM

You can try to sell the letter, but you won't be able to offer much of a warranty as to whether the letter is valid or a reproduction, so I think you won't get much for it.

If you really want to know if the letter is transferable, you would get a far more authoritative answer by asking the airline.

While the letter may not have your name on it, I would guess that there is some unique number on it, so the airline can track its use, and they may have your name associated with that number in their system. But I think there would certainly be no objection if you bought tickets for someone else; I buy tickets for my kids.