From San Sebastian to Barcelona

Jan 3rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

From San Sebastian to Barcelona

On what internal airlines might we get a good price from San Sebastian to Barcelona, or reverse? How long is the flight? Would appreciate sharing your experiences.
Jan 3rd, 2019, 07:06 PM

Marsha - google San Sebastián to Barcelona
Jan 4th, 2019, 07:22 AM

You mighty not be familiar with the low-fare Vueling which is based in BCN.

They have one or two nonstops most days, takes a bit over an hour. They are one of those European lowcost airlines so fares are less if you can get by with hand luggage, smaller sizes than on majors. A checked bag and seat assignment brings the fare to about $60 one way. But it's possible for half of that or less.

I'd visit their website to see the fare conditions.
Jan 4th, 2019, 08:18 AM

www.skyscanner.com covers low-cost and one-way fares that may not show up on non-European webs. Skyscanner does not sell tickets but connects to the sellers.
San Sebastian's airport is small. The regional airport is in Bilbao and there is a bus service from San Sebastian, although it is a fairly long ride.

Last edited by Southam; Jan 4th, 2019 at 08:21 AM.
Jan 4th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that usually brings up only US based airlines and I'm more interested in those in Europe.
Jan 4th, 2019, 09:31 AM

You can book EAS-BCN using Expedia. For mid-July, one way on Vueling is as low as US$36 and takes an hour and five minutes. Vueling is a low-cost carrier owned by IAG, which owns both Iberia and British Airways.
Jan 4th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by marsha1340 View Post
On what internal airlines might we get a good price from San Sebastian to Barcelona, or reverse? How long is the flight? Would appreciate sharing your experiences.
try rome2rio
Jan 4th, 2019, 12:31 PM

My experience with Vueling a few months ago..they must have low priority for gate space.We were bussed from a gate to a plane on the tarmac (one of a dozen or more) and got to hike up the stairs. They are a bit thin on gate agents. Recommend downloading their app to track flight delays and gate switches. I think our gate was switched at least once. and the flight was at least an hour late. Still, we did get there and it wasn't any worse than Ryanair. Be sure to print out your boarding pass.
Jan 5th, 2019, 08:17 AM

EAS to BCN

You're choices of airlines flying directly from San Sebastián airport (Hondarribia) to Barcelona is limited to Vueling, with one morning flight departing Sunday-Friday and one late afternoon flight on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. No direct flights on Saturdays.

Air Nostrum/Iberia connects daily through Madrid.

Airlines - San Sebastián Airport - Aena.es
Jan 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Good to know.
Jan 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

rio2rome

Thanks. I do have that on my phone.
Jan 5th, 2019, 02:50 PM

Look at Skyscanner too. We found that the flights out San Sebastian Airport, located in Honadarribia, were a lot moreexpensive than those out of Bilbao.
Jan 6th, 2019, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice.
Jan 6th, 2019, 12:10 PM

It isn't true that flights from Bilbao are less expensive than those from San Sebastian. I wonder if HappyTrvlr didn't see the Vueling flights when they did their search.

BTW you can book directly on Vueling.com if you want, which is what I did (it gives an option to pay in different currencies). Sometimes paying in Euros can get a slightly better price I found. Also, if you go through some third party site be careful not to book Iberia or British Airways because they could be the same Vueling flights... at 2 or more x the fare, probably!

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 6th, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Jan 7th, 2019, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

All of your very helpful information has led to another question: What is the best way/cost to get from the airport in Hondarribia to San Sebastian proper?
Jan 7th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
It isn't true that flights from Bilbao are less expensive than those from San Sebastian. I wonder if HappyTrvlr didn't see the Vueling flights when they did their search.

BTW you can book directly on Vueling.com if you want, which is what I did (it gives an option to pay in different currencies). Sometimes paying in Euros can get a slightly better price I found. Also, if you go through some third party site be careful not to book Iberia or British Airways because they could be the same Vueling flights... at 2 or more x the fare, probably!
The difference in the cost of the Vueling/Iberia flight is minimum once you go through the process of checking the total cost of the flight. Iberia has no addons, the price is what's shown. If you're booking on the Vueling web site you will be charged for everyting from checking in to a fee for using a credit card. The final amount will be nearly identical. You should also be using a credit card with no international transaction fees. The charge will be in Euros at the current exchange rate and not added fees.
Jan 7th, 2019, 10:49 AM

It isn't true that skyscanner only brings up US-based airlines. It isn't even a US website, that would be very odd if it did. It lists Vueling and Easyjet and Ryanair, etc for sure, as well as other European budget airlines. IN fact, on that route, I don't think there are any US-based airlines. you could use skyscanner.net if you want, I thin it defaults to a diff. currency.
Jan 8th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
It isn't true that skyscanner only brings up US-based airlines. It isn't even a US website, that would be very odd if it did. It lists Vueling and Easyjet and Ryanair, etc for sure, as well as other European budget airlines. IN fact, on that route, I don't think there are any US-based airlines. you could use skyscanner.net if you want, I thin it defaults to a diff. currency.
As you can probably tell now, I was not accurately responding to individual posts. I was happy to learn of skyscanner.net and am using it. My reply about seeing only US airlines was meant for the person who suggested that I "Google flights to ....."
Jan 10th, 2019, 02:18 PM

I actually find Wikipedia to be the easiest way to find city pairs. Look up the departure airport and it lists airlines and destinations. The airline nerds do a good job keeping things up to date.
Jan 11th, 2019, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelgourmet View Post
I actually find Wikipedia to be the easiest way to find city pairs. Look up the departure airport and it lists airlines and destinations. The airline nerds do a good job keeping things up to date.
Good to know. I'll give it a try. thanks.