Frequent Flyer Miles

Search

Frequent Flyer Miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frequent Flyer Miles

I know AAFrequentFlyer can help me on this one without making me feel like a ninny - lol:
I have FF miles with 3 different airlines. Individually they're rather small amounts (I'm jealous of ya'll! lol). Do airlines let you combine FF miles from other airlines? I'm just trying to figure out how I can use them before the chance they expire and perhaps use them towards an international trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 07:58 AM

No, you cannot move miles between FF programs directly. Not even ones that are from the same alliance like UA/US or CO/NW/DL. However, in some cases, they are means to move miles around via a 3rd party rewards program like AMTRAK or one of the hotel cards... You usually will lose 50% of the miles with an exchange like that, though there are exceptions.

If you have that few miles to start with, I wouldn't bother. Let it expire and stop worrying about it. The current FF programs are really only beneficial to the <b>frequent</b> flyers. For others, you are just setting yourself for a big disappointment when you find out that there's no way you can use the miles that you spent weeks moving around 3-4 programs, on the dates you want to travel.

Having said that, do keep an eye out for some targeted offers from the airlines. For example, they may give you some bonus miles if you get their credit cards - which along with the miles you already have, may give you enough for a free domestic ticket. However, most of these cards do carry a high annual fee. Sometimes they'll waive that for a few months. Make sure you cancel the card before they start charging you the annual fees, etc...

If you still want to pursuit this further, try the flyertalk.com forums. Or at least give us the details. Exactly how many miles on each FF account you have.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Try points.com

You did not mention the airlines, but they allow you to combine points from various loyalty programs. I have never used them, but it looks interesting.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

The airlines &amp; points (don't laugh) are:
Qantas - less than 20K
Delta (good old American Express) - less than 20K
US Air - less than 10K

I guess my main concern is I don't want them to expire. Even if I can't use them for an international trip this fall I might be able to use them afterwards.
Thanks - I'll look at those websites.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:51 AM

doesn't look so interesting after further investigation

200,000 of my US Airways miles get me 11,628 American miles or $465 in coffee at Starbucks

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:24 PM
sandi

With some luck if Delta has a promotion you might be able to get a domestic ticket for those 20K; or sometimes Delta has an offer where you can buy needed miles for an award.

Otherwise, I would suggest you consider &quot;donating&quot; them to our soldiers so they can get to their home cities after Uncle Sam drops them at some port of entry - it's then the soldier's responsibility to pay his/her way home from there. Or donate them for Miracle Miles-type programs run which enable people to fly to hospitals for health care, Wish Upon a Star, etc. etc.

Believe all the US carrier FF programs (not sure about Qantas) have this option available for people who don't have sufficient miles to obtain an award ticket for themselves; instead these miles go to people who can use them. Do a good deed! I got rid of some of my, soon to expire, miles this way.

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I know that in theory it is possible to move the points... I called Hilton, and they said they'll move my points anywhere as soon as I have 10,000. Maybe in 10 years
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:27 PM

To Faina - there is often a way to move hotel frequnt sleeper points one way or the other to FF miles - but not usually airline to airline.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:40 PM

What sandi suggested is great. Or you can order like 20 different magazine subscription from your points. Burn them in your fireplace or stove after reading through them, and save on your energy bill...
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:06 AM
KT

Right now you can get a Delta-affiliated American Express card with no annual fee for the first year and earn 10K when you make your first purchase. That will get you enough for a domestic award on Delta and cost you nothing.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:10 AM
KT

This is probably obvious, but I forgot to tell you: look at www.delta.com for the offer.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

KT: The Delta/Amercian Express deal is what I'm already doing.

rkkwan: I looked into the magazine thing already and didn't find a thing I wanted ... you did crack me up though.

Guess I'll just wait it out until after I take a planned international trip at Christmas (paid for without using FF miles) and see how many I have - might be enough to do something with then. Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:36 PM
KT

Sorry, now I see your reference to American Express. Blame it on jet lag...
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 09:55 PM

<b>tallylass</b>,

don't give up just yet. I'm on the road again, but should be home in couple of days. I can't guarantee any great solutions, but there may be an option or two.

See Ya!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

AAFrequentFlyer: I thought you were probably out of town because you're always &quot;Johnny on the spot&quot; with assistance. I look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks!!!!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

ttt so AAFF doesn't forget about my - lol
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:39 AM

i'll try to did up some possibilites today. in the meantime, why don't you go to <b>www.flyertalk.com</b> and post the same question on each individual airline forum. Just take out the other 2 airlines when asking about Qantas and do the same with the others.

Good luck! and I'll will try to find something here as well.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:48 AM

here are few possibilities:

Qantas - You did not say how many miles short of 20K, but if it's just a few, Qantas has awards available for 20K miles for a trip up to 2000 miles R/T. Many domestic airlines, including AA. Qantas may let you slide if it's something like 100 or 200 miles short. Qantas will also let you earn miles with their partners, which include many hotels. Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn, Marriotts, etc. You get 1000 miles per stay. A quick weekend getaway will give you enough miles to claim the above award if you are seriously short of 20K. Just to give you an idea of what's possible with 2000 miles R/T, here it is: Chicago-New York, Orlando-Chicago or New York, Los Angeles-Denver, and many many more.

Delta - You could purchase miles. That may be an expensive way as 5000 miles will cost you 172.81 with Delta. There are partners that will allow you to earn miles with Delta. Apply for a CC, shop with Flowers.com, FTD.com, eat at restaurants, just need to register your CC with IDine and every time you eat out at one of the participating restaurants, you earn 10 miles per $ spend. Hotels, on-line shopping, etc. Go to <b>www.delta.com</b> and look at all the partners available.

USAir - With only 10K miles, I would look into possible mag subscriptions, or maybe donating the miles to the worthy charity.

Good luck!