Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying with an infant car seat - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning for a flight with our 6-month old. We are renting a car, but don't want to rent a car seat from the company.

Is it possible and safe to check a car seat and base on the airline? Any suggestions from parents who have "been there, done that"?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Not a parent, but my friends who travel with their babies do that all the time.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
J62

Used to do it a lot. I double bagged the car seat in large, heavy duty trash bags to keep it clean, then wrapped duct tape around it so bag wasn't flapping or likely to snag.

I see a car seats checked as is, but we always liked to keep airport grime off our ours.

Remember to pack bags and some tape for the return trip.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:11 PM

There are car seat bags, either from the seat manufacturer or 3rd party, that are durable and can protect the seat. There are ones with wheels or with strap to carry on your back, etc.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like it's feasible.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM

wouldn't you want to have it in the cabin with you, for your child to sit in?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Our child will be riding on our laps - not an option for an extra seat. No 10% fare available, and full price is over $1800 for the ticket.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM

I suggest a few things. 1.Learn how to install your seat without the base. ALmost all infant seats are safe to use without the base and it give you more options when traveling. Check your seats manual or the manufactures web site. If you want hands on help learning how to install right find a Car seat tech near you at NHTSA.dot.gov 2.Bring your seat to the gate with you. Tell the gate agent and the flight attendent you see as you board that you ahve not purhcased a seat but if there is any open seat on the plane you'd like to be able ot use the car seat for your baby. They want ALL passengers safely restrained and will move around folks to accomidate this. Most likly you'd not be able to see with your spouse too, but at least the baby is safer. 3.If there is no seats open ask them to gate check your seat and to have available at the jetway when you deplane. This will insure that the seat is not lost and is available for use in your rental car.

For much more info see
http://www.carseat.org/
and
http://www.carseat.org/Legal/FAA-AC120-87A.pdf (see page 10, item e)

Good luck!!
Cathie
CPST
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM

"They want ALL passengers safely restrained and will move around folks to accomidate this."

My recollection is that on European airlines, you're not allowed to keep the child in the carseat but instead hold him/her with an extension seat belt during take-off/landing.

If you're happy and intent on doing a lap baby, I would check the carseat at the check-in, instead of schlepping it to the gate.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

cfrizz - great advice and details. Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM

If you end up checking the car seat (we would do so for kids older than needed car seats, but could sit alone in the plane seat), I would definitely recommend the bag.

There will be extra space in there and it is wonderful to throw in coats, etc. so that you aren't carrying all that gear. I would even throw in a pack of diapers which I know would get used and thus freeing up space in case we needed it !

I particularly liked the ones with wheels.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM

I buy the XXL ziploc bags and place the infant carrier in there instead of bags/tape. They are super strong and withstand the grime.

Also, most infant carriers can be used wo the base, just placing the seatbelt over the carrier to install in a car. So much easier! I first flew alone with my daughter at 6 weeks and have learned a lot each trip! Good luck