Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying Toronto to Paris with 1 yr old, airline advice please

Mar 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying in June... Air Transat has the cheapest flights by far (800 dollar difference in total) although AC or AF could still have a seat sale...

We usually fly AC to L.A and have never flown Transat but I've been reading some pretty mixed reviews about them.
Now that our very heavy son will be on our laps for the flight just not sure if there is a 'best' option. Our L.A. trip with him at 9 months was pretty brutal (all the extra weight on our laps) so I'm sure at 1.5yrs old it will be even more uncomfortable.

Is it worth spending more for AC or AF or is there really not much difference in seat comfort unless you go up a class?
Would love some feedback from those with experience.
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM

For the most part, the difference between AC/AF and Air Transat is that things are more likely to go wrong with Air Transat -- especially, a greater risk of longer delays. That can happen with AC or AF, but more likely with AT. The ground support (check-in, baggage claim) for AF and AC is pitiable, but Air Transat's is even worse.

The seat itself probably isn't much different. You're more likely to have an empty seat next to you on AC or AF, but at that time of year I wouldn't count on it.

If you're in any way flexible with your dates (by a day or two), I'd wait until AF/AC put seats on sale. Also, be sure to check the prices when flying on Tues/Weds.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
I've been checking the prices daily and so for AC is now almost 1,000 more than the Air Transat seats...(altogether) Also, the AC aircraft for that price has the 3 3 3 configuration like the Air Transat aircraft. From what I've been reading the 2 4 2 seating is preferred for AC. So.....we would like to hold out for a seat sale hopefully but at the same time don't want to miss out on what seems to be a really good deal from Transat.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I just looked more closely at the AT option as it 'looked' like a direct flight but had 'via' highlighted underneath and states that it includes a brief stopover to embark more passengers, but passengers on the plane must stay on.
Don't think that's a good option for us with our son. I guess we will just hang in there for a seat sale.

It seems like flying out of Montreal has a lot more options, but again, just not sure it would be worth all of the extra travel time.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 01:37 AM

You are getting caught up in terminology - the flight you looked at was a direct flight - it just was not a non-stop flight. They are not the same thing, although sometimes people make the mistake of using them that way - the airlines do not use them as the same thing.

A direct flight can even - although it does not often - mean a change in planes. All it means is that the flight has the same flight number all the way from beginning to end.

Good luck - the idea of an 18 month old child as a lap kid for that distance sounds worse than brutal.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail! You are right! Was not understanding the terminology. My wife and I are usually extremely flexible flyers. We would be ok with any number of connections, but now with the little guy, nonstop seems to be the only option! At least if it's an evening flight on the way there he will sleep through most of it once the lights go out. It's definitely going to be worse than brutal...
Mar 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM

For safety reasons I would definitely purchase a ticket for the child.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM

Can't comment on airlines since we've never flown AT, but I'll strongly second Lynnasutin's suggestion and not just for safety reasons. Add sanity to that list. We've been traveling with our daughter since she was 6 mos old and all it took was one short trip to convince us to get her own seat. The difference is beyond words. You've already experienced it once - that will be a piece of cake compared to TransAtl. Work it into your budget somehow.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Very good suggestions, thank you! Will definitely look into it... The biggest downside is the expense of course...especially if we're looking at 1,000 per ticket. On our trip to L.A. we lucked out with a half full plane and the attendant gave us 3 seats. Hopefully if we hang in there for a seat sale the cost might be more reasonable.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Ok, we are going to purchase the seat. He was only 9 months for the l.a. flight and was sleeping on my wife the whole time so that was one thing...now that he'll be 1 1/2, and it's an international flight...
don't know what i was thinking!
Mar 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

now a specific question about air france booking....they have a 0-1 infant option and a 2+ child option. Initally I selected 0-1 but it doesn't specify if that's a lap price or a seat? It's much cheaper than the 2+child option, should I assume that the infant option is lap only?
Thanks