Flight connectionin ATL-Gate??

Apr 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Flight connectionin ATL-Gate??

I am flying with Delta from BWI to Cun in a couple of weeks and my connection in ATL is only 45 minutes. Does anyone know what my chances are arriving and leaving out of the same terminal? I know 45 minutes is a very tight connection so I am hoping they are in the same terminal.
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Delta has so many gates at ATL that it's hard to say. Sometimes if you put your flights into the airline's website for today, you can see the gates--but that's no guarantee the gates will be the same when you fly.
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Well, ATL is about as well-designed as an airport can be. There aren't too many very long walks. At most, you have to walk the length of one concourse, which is a decent distance, but not the kind of walking you might have to do at a lot of other airports.

Regardless, that is a very tight connection. If there are later flights to Cancun, then that helps, as you can hopefully get on a later flight. Otherwise, try to sit near the front and then hope your flight into ATL is on time or that your flight to CUN is late.

One other option to consider is that DL lets you change your flights on the day of departure for $50, assuming there are empty seats.
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM

When transiting ATL, you think about concourses and not terminals:

http://www.ifly.com/hartsfield-jacks...l/terminal-map

There are 6 Concourses, connected via an underground train. DL uses basically all 6 concourses. You may or may not have to switch concourse. If you need to, the furthest walk from the end of each concourse to the center of each concourse is about 1/4 mile. You ride a long escalator down to the train. The train is very frequent and very fast (hang on to the handrails or sit down). Then repeat the process to your other gate.

You will not go through security for your outbound flight.
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:21 AM

It's a legal connection.

Go directly to the next gate. Don't go to the shops and buy stuff, don't stop at the fast food place for food. There may be time for all of that but find out once you get to the gate! I can't tell you how many times I have seen folks miss planes at ATL screaming at the gate agent while holding thier Wendy's bags.... It's not Delta's fault they stopped for food!
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. We don't plan on stopping anywhere. Thankfully if something happens and we miss our flight there are 2 other flights to Cancun after ours hopefully we could get on. Boy do I need a vacation.