First Class Attire

Jul 6th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Dan0501

First Class Attire

I have been reading over some forums about how to dress "properly" in Europe. I wanted to know if anyone, in particular MadameX, could give any tips as to how to dress for Domestic US first class travel. Are shorts okay?

Jul 6th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Cassandra

I'm not Madame X, more's the pity, but I've seen shorts in 1st cl. in the US -- have seen everything, pretty much. Most who travel in 1st are business travelers, so they are usually in "power casual" -- not nec. suits and ties or power-suits for women, can be good quality sportswear. However, you would never, ever be denied boarding for breaking a dress code; and as I've said, I've seen shorts, torn jeans, everything. Footwear can be oxfords or sandals or slip-ons, etc. -- recommend slip-ons to get through security quickly. Forget flip-flops -- they're dangerous in quick-exit situations.

Do keep in mind, however, that sometimes it gets downright chilly at cruising altitude, esp. if the AC vents are at ankle-level.

Jul 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM

I'm of the school that thinks that shorts and T-shirts are appropriate at the beach and when mowing the lawn. Just because you can wear something doesn't mean you should. I also don't think that your clothes should change depending on whether you are in first or economy.

As a man you should wear clean, non-wrinkled comfortable pants without holes in them. Your shirts should have, at the least, short sleeves. Cassandra is right: you'll be more comfortable in long sleeves.

As a whole, Europeans don't wear shorts, so the added benefit is that you can wear these outfits in Europe without sticking out like a sore thumb.
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Domestic first class isn't what it used to be. some of the FC sections are only 2 rows at the front of the plane.

Neat, clean shorts or jeans is not a problem
Jul 7th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Dan0501

Thank you

Jul 8th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hooray sunshine007. I'm starting to think like my parents
Since I began traveling I've watched people go from business suites to sorts, tank tops and flip flops. When I look around at airports it seems like it could be a Greyhound terminal (no offese meant for bus travelers. I'm a firm believer in "appropriate attire" but still want to be comfortable for long flights. I always feel something as simple as a pair of kachis (sp?) and a polo shirt for men or women works great for most all occassions and is comfortable. There's nothing worse (for me) than getting seated between two partially clad (think tank tops) people who have just run through a terminal to get to the gate on time.
My other thought it that if you have flight/reservation problems, people who are well put together and have reasonable attitude seem to get taken care of better/quicker.
Did I just go off on a tangent? Sorry, I just never understood the need to dress down just because you're traveling.
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM

There were times when people in warm-up suits were denied boarding; so I don't think it's quite accurate to say this will never happen.
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:23 AM

I just wish people would cover their belly. I really don't want to look at that lower back tatoo or belly button piercing.

People should wear the clothes that take up the most room in the suitcase--usually jeans and shoes. Also, consider that if the plane is too cold, you don't want to start the holiday with a cold.
Jul 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM

123go's message in which he questioned his own spelling of khaki reminded me of something ....

Several months ago, for some reason, I started reading an obituary in the Boston Globe for a beloved teacher at an expensive New England prep school. The long obit mentioned that he was fond of wearing tweed sportcoats and tacky pants.
I envisoned loud plaids and flowers and thought he was aiming at being a beloved eccentric. A few days later came a correction: He was fond of khaki pants.
So much for dignity in your obit.
Jul 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Loved the typo khaki's story.

Here's the absolute in being inappropriately dressed -- a woman ran the bulls in Pamplona with flip flops on.
Jul 12th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Perhaps she was planning on flipping and flopping.
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Cassandra

"a woman ran the bulls in Pamplona with flip flops on" -- just how many of those bulls with flip-flops on were there????!!!!

;-)

Jul 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Cassandra, I read your comment & at first thought that my mother was rolling over in her grave & that I had made a grammatical mistake. But on further reflection I decided that "running the bulls" is a term of art, therefore, the "with flip flops on" was properly describing the person who was "running the bulls."

What say you?
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM

You see everything, in a sartorial sense, in first class now that it is merely an upgrade from coach. Few people sitting in the first cabin are actually first class travelers.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:01 AM

That's probably true for domestic....but for international first ...many do pay.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Not sure that it true domestically,not for AA at least.Since they introduced the "reduced" First Class fare, it has gone over very well.In fact,according to several friends who work in AA res, a little too well.Many travellers who would normally upgrade with their elite status have now gone to purchasing the reduced FC fares to make sure they get a FC seat.It has frustrated a lot of Platinums and probably driven off some Golds, as these guys have great difficulty in getting their upgrades anymore.I hear my TA telling customers on AA: if you want a FC seat, buy it!And a lot of them do.
Jul 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM

You can wear anything that you want - as long at it doesn;t constitute indecent behavior (although I've seen some things in public that come pretty close - shorts are supposed to cover the ENTIRE bottom.)

But - if you had ever had to evacuate a plane - and seen what happens to the skin of someone with bare legs or no shoes (from shorts, skirt or flip flops) skidding down that slide - you would know why it's not really a good idea.
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Based on what I saw on my last first class flight - and it was at 8 AM - was the only requirement of half the passengers was to wear a shirt with sleeves loose enough to easily signal the flight attendant for more free alcohol.
Jul 14th, 2005, 05:21 PM

ROTFL, Gail!! Couldn't agree more, on ALL fare classes.
Jul 20th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Each airline has a different dress code. If you want to be upgraded on American the following are frowned upon: jeans, denim, any athletic attire, bare midriffs, shorts, and sneakers. Shirts should have collars. "Business casual" is expected for an upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO