FF miles - bequeath them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to will your FF miles? Not that I have that many, but lots of people have tons of them. How would that be handled with the airlines? They are worth some money.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM

From the United Mileage Plus Program rules:

Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor
certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by
operation of law.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM

It is possible, of course, for a member to get someone else a ticket with their miles while they are still alive.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Delta Skymiles can be transferred upon death.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:47 PM
pat

My friend had her Dad`s AA miles transferred into her account, as that was stated in his will.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM

Not trying to be morbid - but how would airline know mileage account owner was dead - as long as someone knows password and account number, they could just use the miles.

Now, trying to be morbid - could one make their "final trip" if transportation of remains was necessary using FF miles?
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 09:25 PM

My friend had her husbands AA miles transferred to her, believe his will also stated that.

I thought I had read sometime ago if ones will stated who the airlines mileage was left to the airlines had to honor it, but evidently not per Jack's post regarding United.

Regarding using somone's mileage after they are deceased even if you have that deceased persons account number and password I don't understand how that would work as the ff account is in the deceased persons name and the airline ticket would be in the other persons name.

Interesting thread Carrybean.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM

FF awards can be issued in anybody's name. So, it's definitely possible to use someone's miles even if he/she's dead if you know the FF# and password.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 02:43 AM

Although I do agree that it's very easily done if you have the account # and password, the airline may take some drastic measures, including lawsuit, if they ever found out. Only the actual account holder can take out tickets for others, so the airline would consider this a fraud if they found out. I also realize that the chances of them finding out are slim to none. The way they usually find out is when the ticket holder is stupid enough to brag about purchasing an award ticket or using a deceased account to get the award ticket, etc. to the ticket agent or the gate agent. So if you ever buy an award ticket or use your dead relatives account, just keep quiet about it and everything will be fine.

OTOH, AA does allow transfer of miles to an immediate family member if they lived under the same roof, such as wife/husband/children. A death certificate and proof that you are the actual close family member, is required to activate the transfer.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

"Now, trying to be morbid - could one make their "final trip" if transportation of remains was necessary using FF miles?"

I'd guess that would only work if you could prop Grandpa up & park him in the seat. Of course, then you'd have the problem of deciding to use miles for an upgrade or getting a free coach ticket instead depending on how many miles were in the account.

Don't think you could use miles for cargo, which is what a coffin would be.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM

According to AA's web site:

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by AA online, with the shareAAmilesSM program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the shareAAmiles program.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Interesting. When my Dad died in 1991, I phoned US Air to inquire about the disposition of his miles. I was instructed to send the airline a copy of the death certificate, whereupon they divided the miles between my sister and me. Times have changed!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM
pat

My friend inherited her miles from her Dad only a year ago.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM

<i> may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically <b><u>identified in court approved divorce decrees</u></b> </i>

I wonder how many people know that FF miles can be split in divorce proceedings!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 08:20 AM

My husband had Aadvantage FF miles and when he died AA set up an account for me and transfered his miles to my account without a hassle.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM

I suspect the airlines' practice of denying that the miles are property may be so they can avoid having to go through the probate or marital termination process, which would be extra work (and expense) for them. So they just deny that the miles are property, then pass them on using their own simple processes.

Don't tell my wife about this; I don't want her getting any ideas.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I was able to have my mom's Delta FF miles put into my account, and then a few years later, my dad's, by completing an affadavit that DL sent to me.