Search

Selling FF miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling FF miles

Hello, Everyone.

I have about 90k FF miles - my travel interests have changed and I'm flying less, so I don't see much use for them. And, the airlines' programs seem to be getting more difficult to deal with, anyway. So, what can you tell me about selling the miles? I've read about some brokers and I know this is a "gray" area. Still, does anyone have experience with it? Advice?
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM

There are some ff miles brokers around and they will broker a deal for you at unfavorable rate, but it is possible. Do a Google search.

That said, understand that airlines do not allow miles to be sold, traded, etc. If they catch you or the buyer, the ticket will be voided, the purchaser will be screwed and if you have any more miles in the bank, the airline will confiscate them. If you have any status, there is a good chance you will lose it.

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Since the miles don't interest you to use, I know there are FF programs that allow you to donate them to charity. Or do you know someone who has always wanted to take a trip somewhere but couldn't afford the airfare? Could you offer them a ticket with your miles?
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I volunteer for Make A Wish, which send kids with life-threatening illnesses on dream trips. They would LOVE your FF miles!!
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM

My TA has a client,both the hubster and the wife sold American miles to a broker.They were busted.American relived them of their elite status, and debited both the ff accounts 150K miles.My advice: donate.I do.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM

>>both the hubster and the wife sold American miles to a broker.They were busted.American relived them of their elite status, and debited both the ff accounts 150K miles<<

Been there. Done that. Lost approximately 750K UA miles. The buyer had to fork over about $20,000 to get his family of 4 back from SYD to BOS, in 1992.

My advice: don't do it.
Dave
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A small group of airlines including AA and DL are now cooperating in a trading scheme run through points.com - https://www.points.com/home/globalex...do?method=home

With fees it's still a lousy-sounding deal, but it shows the airlines are moving more toward treating their miles as fungible.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Depending on the airline, you might be able to use your miles for something else, e.g hotel stays, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, etc. A lot of airlines would like to see the balance of unused FF miles decreased, so they're entering into arrangements that allow customers to use miles for something else.

Also, unless something has changed dramatically and permanently in your life, there's a good chance you could find a use for those miles in the next few years - either for yourself or someone close to you. (I've used my miles in the last few years to fly my mother-in-law across the country to see one of her daughters, to fly my aunt to my mother's funeral, and my niece to see me.) Just make sure you monitor the miles' expiry date and make sure you have one transaction a year (e.g. a car rental, hotel stay or something) to keep them alive.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Jed

If it is legal to get a ticket in someone else's name with your points, can you sell the ticket and not the points? Am I missing something?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM

The terms and conditions say you can't sell the miles or the tickets you buy with them.

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM

I used my miles to give as a gift to someone, i.e. I "bought" that person a ticket using my FF miles. I did not sell them, but since it is allowed to use the miles for another person, how would anyone know if I had sold the ticket as opposed to giving it as a gift?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
They wouldn't, but if you did it several times they'd probably flag you for further scrutiny.