Expedia, Air France & when to buy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to find 1 flight to Paris leaving on Sat 2/19. When I search Expedia there are no Air France flights past 2/15 yet there are seats available at a high price through the Air France website. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am wondering if and when the Air France flights will show up in Expedia.
Also, at this point 27 days out should I just take the best available?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM

I just booked my flight with air france. I was tracking prices through expedia. I decided to call air france directly to check the price and it was lower than expedia. I booked with them directly at the lower price. Go ahead and try them... they are pretty nice over the phone.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:07 PM

I booked a flight on Air France for the first week of April. SFO-CDG. It was slightly cheaper to go directly through the airline vs. Expedia.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM
jasper

it's best to just call the airline directly, (or the website). airfrance.com. the reservation phone number would be on the website. flights are available 13 months in advance from current date. good luck, and enjoy paris!!

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Expedia and the ilk don't carry every airline, and they don't tell you which ones they do carry, so you should always look two or three places. Perhaps their relationship with Air France is ending, or perhaps its just a glitch, but whatever the cause, you are very unlikely to find good fares so close to the date of the flight. Many of the best fares must be bought xx days prior to the flight, when that date passes, no more of that class can be sold.

I would grab tickets at the best price right away. Is there some reason for limiting this to Air France?

Any chance of changing the date? Travelzoo reports Air France is having a sale for travel from mid-march to mid-april. NY to Paris for $300!
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 12:37 PM

The European board is awash with reports of sales by KLM, Northwest, and BA. You might check them.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM

Air France is my preferred airline to many European destinations, and I can tell you, when seats are getting very filled up, sometimes you cannot book them on Travelocity/Expedia, but you can on Air France. Also, as I am tracking a flight for this summer in peak period, their fares may rise up on Mon-Tuesday, and then drop. Maybe those specific days are peculiar to my search, but I think the aircraft may be getting full and the available seats at certain prices is going up and down every couple days. So, if you see it jump a couple hundred dollars, wait a couple days and it may go back down.

IN any case, I see no reason to book through Expedia rather than Air France's own web site. As I said, you are less likely to get a legitimate seat or availability if the plane is full. Sometimes if they allow you to book, you can't choose a seat if it's getting full, whereas on Air France you will be able to. Besides, Expedia charges an extra fee, don't they?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:01 AM

I just noticed this person is gone, oh well, maybe some comments for others in the same situation.