Search

EWR or JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EWR or JFK

Hi! I do realize that technically, the EWR airport is located in New Jersey. However, to get into Mid-town Manhattan - what is easier and faster? EWR or JFK? Sometimes the drive from JFK takes horribly long. Thanks in advance.

I do realize La Guardia is another option - but that's only for domestic flights ......
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Hey Hari,

Both EWR and JFK are subject to significant traffic delays. On average, I've found that the trip from JFK is quicker, very possibly because there are more options for the driver if traffic is bad, and most drivers seem to have GPS/traffic now. (From Newark to mid-town, the driver is pretty much limited to the Holland or Lincoln tunnels.)

You may know that there is train service from both airports to Penn Station -- not a terribly comfortable ride, but can be speedier than taxi at peak hours.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Google Maps shows EWR to Times Square 16.7 mi 28 min drive time up up to 1 Hr 10 min in traffic,
JFK to Times Square: 17.9 mi 29 min, up to 1 Hr 10 min in traffic.
So basically they are the same distance away.
I have preferred the EWR option on International arrival flights, perhaps because there are fewer than at JFK, and the US Customs line seems shorter.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Frankly it just depends. Time of the day is important. I have found JFK a better option at times once you depart the airport. There are more options on getting into the city but around rush hour, they are all bad.

EWR is limited to two tunnels (and the GWB but is the long way) and they can be jammed although I've cruised into the city at times.

rizzuto made a good suggestion, there are trains into the city from both airports. I've never used but are options.

One benefit for JFK is that taxis are a fixed rate into Manhattan and I recall being cheaper than the fixed rates from Newark (where you need to pay for the tunnels(Holland or Lincoln).
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! Appreciate all the responses. Will stick to JFK as planned!!!