Egyptair Economy Class Distinctions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2023, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I want to fly Egyptair from Washington, DC to Cairo because it's the only airline with direct flights, but I'm puzzled by its fares for "Economy Best Offer" and "Economy Good Deal." I've pored over the website and Googled every term imaginable but still can't figure out the difference. Do you know? All we really care about is being able to select our seats!
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 09:09 AM

The website shows the difference if you check on fare class. Basically, the mileage earned varies for your FF acct (more expensive one earns more, of course), and there can be some differences in refundability. Also, if you have a FF act, you cannot upgrade with miles on the cheaper of those two.

Best offer:

• Refund charge will apply or not refundable (Subject to terms and conditions).​
  • Changes permitted at least 24 hours before departure with a charge (Subject to terms and conditions)​​​.​
  • Advance seat selection available.
  • Request of special meals available.
  • Upgrade to higher fares permitted.
  • No priority check in, baggage handling and boarding.
  • No lounge access.
  • Earn 25 %- 50% miles on international Flights.
  • Earn 150 –250 miles on domestic routes .
  • Cannot be upgrade against miles.
  • International routes: 2 pieces up to (23 kgs/ 50 lbs), maximum size 158 cm (62 in) each, Except for codeshare flights

Goo​d Deal:

• Refund charge will apply.
  • Advance seat selection available.
  • Request of special meals available.
  • Upgrade to higher fares permitted.
  • No priority check in, baggage handling and boarding.
  • No lounge access.
  • Earn 100 % miles on international flights.
  • Earn 500 miles on domestic routes.
  • Can be upgraded against miles.
  • International routes: 2 pieces up to (23 kgs/ 50 lbs), maximum size 158 cm (62 in) each, Except for codeshare flights
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I saw that explanation but thought it didn't seem to be much of a difference for about $250! It's odd there's no information on leg room or the cost of reserving a seat, but I guess I can assume that means there's no difference.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 12:00 PM

If that's $250 RT that doesn't surprise me at all, that's only $125 each way for a difference in miles earned, ability to upgrade, refundability, etc. Egyptair only has two classes anyway, Economy and Business, but even the airlines that have premium economy or something like that for some extra leg room but nothing else would charge a lot more than that. I fly United to/from Europe a lot as they charge the least of any airline I know for upgrade to premium economy which give you maybe 4 more inches legroom, and they charge between $150-200 each way for that, other airlines seem to charge more. And Cairo is about 2000 miles farther.

They charge $10-$40 for seat selection, depends what kind you want.
https://www.egyptair.com/en/fly/Seat...s/default.aspx

They show seat specs on their Fllet page, but they only have two classes. Bus is 20 inches wide and economy 18 inches. Pitch is 76 for bus, they don't show pitch for economy, surprisingly (at least not on the 777).

If you don't know the site, go to www.seatguru.com to find all seat sizes on various airlines. They say it is 33 inches pitch for the 777 but they have the business pitch a bit different than the Egyptair website so who knows. But looks about typical for economy if not a bit more (I think 31 is common). 33 inches is pretty generous for economy. United is more like 31 for economy and 34 for econ plus.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eg.../fleetinfo.php
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you! I really appreciate all your research and tips!