EasyJet question

Aug 30th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

EasyJet question

I'm planning on using a cheap EasyJet flight within Europe once I get there. Never used them before.
On their website, it shows the fare from Madrid to Lisbon to be 40.99 eu, and 7.50 eu for one "hold bag" up to 20 kg.
Has anyone recently used EasyJet and can explain what a "hold bag" is? Is it a either a carry-on OR checked bag, and in either case incurs the extra charge? Is a woman's purse considered a "hold bag"?
I know the cheapo airlines eke out extra profit by add-on charges, and I want to be prepared.
If I buy my tickets in cash as soon as I arrive in Madrid from the States, can I avoid the extra fees for credit card online reservations? Can I still get a good price on tickets three days out, since that's how long I intend to stay in Madrid?
Aug 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM

OK - I'll be gentle here -- a "hold bag" - goes in the hold. (that means checked luggage)

You definitely do not want to delay buying easyJet tickets. Their cheapest fares go first and walk-up/last minute tix can cost more than other airlines. Book them as soon as your dates are firm.

Aug 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM

I took EasyJet in 2005 from London Gatwick to Prague, flying in the same day to Gatwick from the states. I had about 3 hours layover in Gatwick which turned out to be more than enough. I was worried about possibly missing my connection so did not purchase my EasyJet tickets until I was literally boarding the plane in Detroit to head for London. I did pay more by waiting, but I also didn't want to miss my connection either and simply throw my ticket away (non-refundable). I'd probably buy it in advance only if it was a dirt-cheap fare like $30 or $40 one-way or something. I had been checking the last-minute fares on other flights before I left so knew what kind of last-minute fare to expect. Since I had waited til two weeks prior to book my trip at all, it didn't cost me much more to wait til the night before to buy my ticket.

Oh, and you cannot pay in cash at the airport with EasyJet - you will have to pay by credit or debit card. Check their website. Just accept the CC fee as another add-on fee like the baggage fees.

Aug 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM

Not sure but i think a 'purse' to us here in uk is what we put our cash and credit cards etc in, and is small by nature.

A bag means handbag i.e. the type ladies carry with all their bits and bobs in, and is larger.

Carry on = hand luggage
Hold = checked luggage

Most airlines allow you to carry a handbag (UK version) (normal size) as well as your luggage.

Easyjet are fine, they are a budget airline i think similar to your Southwest airlines.

Just remember even budget airlines have to adhere to reasonable levels of comfort, safety etc.

One word of warning. Work your costs out as sometimes the budget tickets can work out more expensive once you add all the extras on!

Look at all the carriers who fly from your chosen airport to see who goes where and check out the competition.
Aug 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM

I would also consider Vueling as they have a reasonable name here in Europe.

www.vueling.com

Also if you want budget around Europe this site is very useful.

www.flylc.com

Good luck
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Got it. Thanks for all the replies. I understand their terminology now.

Janisj: In the U.S., the conventional terms are "carry-on" and "checked" bags. The term "hold" could have meant "hold-in-hand", i.e., carry-on. The EasyJet site doesn't help by noting: "Each passenger is entitled to carry 20 kg of hold baggage." - That makes it sound like carry-on bags.
That's why I asked the question.
Aug 31st, 2008, 08:39 AM

<<< That makes it sound like carry-on bags.
That's why I asked the question. >>>

* one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
* Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged at the airport prior to departure

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html
Aug 31st, 2008, 10:14 AM

rdfarr: "The term "hold" could have meant "hold-in-hand", i.e., carry-on. "

I thought that is what you meant - and is why I said I'd be gentle. The hold is the cargo hold - and it is the very same terminology in the States as elsewhere. No US carrier would call hold-in-your-hand items "hold luggage".

Yes, we call it checked luggage - but checked luggage goes in the "hold" . . . . .

(I am a Yank too)
Aug 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM

20kg is 44lb. It certainly does not sound like carry-on. In fact, that's the standard checked bags allowance for most places around the world outside North America.
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I know what 20 kg is: about the weight of my wife's carry on bag for a two day trip.
Oct 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

OK, I'm back from my trip and I'll give you my experience with EasyJet and baggage.

I had an overpacked soft-sided carry-on and a backpack. My wife's bag was a carry-on with the extending zipper loosened. It could never have fitted into the sizing rack that they place next to the door. She was also carrying a large purse.
Our two travel companions both had a combination roller carry-on with a large backpack attached.
We were not charged with any fees for violating the carry-on limits, although they did give tags to our two travel companions so that their bags would be placed into the plane's luggage compartment to be retrieved at the destination. (No charge).
We had no problems whatsoever with EasyJet and would use them again.
p.s. - One of our travel buddies was an ex-airline pilot (Delta) who was surprised to learn that the term "hold baggage" actually referred to checked baggage and not carry-on.
Oct 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I have flown with EasyJet more than 100 times. They are - in my opinion - the best of the budget airlines in terms of customer care. They are the Spaniels of the airline world. Ryanair are the Rotweilers.

Search this Thread