Delta Passengers...waiting for cancellations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might check your booking....over the weekend Delta has slashed many flights between ATL, JFK etc. to Europe. One impacted route is JFK-NCE nonstop which is no more. It still shows on my itinerary but if trying to book today no such flight exists. I think many destinations are cut for summer 2020. Was not expecting to go and was waiting to them to cancel to get refund. Will get on hold soon to start that process. Best to check to see if the flight is available to book still or if it is gone...then you can assume your flight is cancelled.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 05:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We are hoping for the same. Checking every few days. Not Delta but Virgin Atlantic.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 12:27 PM

Lois thanks for your post. We are also waiting just like you. Have flights for late July. Waiting to make a decision, which is really hard as we planned this vacation almost 18 months ago with great excitement. Now not sure if we want to travel and take chances with our health.
I guess, patience is a virtue, so will wait few more weeks and see how things shape up.
Travel plans for 2020 are all messed up.
Have a good week and stay healthy so hopefully we all can plan more wonderful travels in the near future.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ileen
Lois thanks for your post. We are also waiting just like you. Have flights for late July. Waiting to make a decision, which is really hard as we planned this vacation almost 18 months ago with great excitement. Now not sure if we want to travel and take chances with our health.
I guess, patience is a virtue, so will wait few more weeks and see how things shape up.
Travel plans for 2020 are all messed up.
Have a good week and stay healthy so hopefully we all can plan more wonderful travels in the near future.
Just remember they are not calling you even if your flight is cancelled...take a look at your record (if you booked direct on line) or call your agenda...mine just showed a time change that was really a major change....now a connection not non stop....refund to cc is no problem under this circumstances. Been following events in France and I don't think anyone from US will be going to France for tourism this summer.
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Keep an eye on your flights.

We cancelled a late July trip and originally had a flight home from London on Delta (booked thru KLM) on August 10th. We kept holding on to our BC tickets even with KLMs liberal change policy due to Covid - you can get vouchers to be used within 12 months from cancellation date, as long as you booked within that 12 month timeframe it doesn’t matter if your dates are after the 12 months,

Anyhow we received an email Monday with a time change for the first leg of our flight, the time of departure from LHR wouldn’t work for us so I reread and found if your flight was cancelled, which essentially ours was, you could get a refund rather than the vouchers. Called KLM and a full refund is in the works.

Good luck.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 06:12 AM

We had a trip to France, scheduled for yesterday on Delta. We booked two separate flights. RDU to JFK and JFK to Paris. We knew they would cancel, but they held off as long as they could to cancel, hoping we would opt for a voucher. They initially changed our RDU to JFK flight to RDU to ATL and then to JFK, except that we arrived in ATL five hours after our flight to JFK. Even if we could get to JFK, they then routed us to Paris was via ATL (second time in one day) then to AMS and then to Paris. All of this was a stall tactic hoping we would grab the voucher. Anyway, they eventually advised even these options were cancelled. We didn't call, simply filled out a request for a refund and got it on our credit card in a couple of days. (We have had to file chargeback requests for three similar cancellations in France against Easy Jet, Volotea and Air France, none of whom are making refunds as easily as Delta). ×
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by whitehall
..................All of this was a stall tactic hoping we would grab the voucher.
Yeah right, poor old Delta rescheduled a whole bunch of flights in the hope you wouldn't ask for a refund.

Old Apr 29th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitehall
We had a trip to France, scheduled for yesterday on Delta. We booked two separate flights. RDU to JFK and JFK to Paris. We knew they would cancel, but they held off as long as they could to cancel, hoping we would opt for a voucher. They initially changed our RDU to JFK flight to RDU to ATL and then to JFK, except that we arrived in ATL five hours after our flight to JFK. Even if we could get to JFK, they then routed us to Paris was via ATL (second time in one day) then to AMS and then to Paris. All of this was a stall tactic hoping we would grab the voucher. Anyway, they eventually advised even these options were cancelled. We didn't call, simply filled out a request for a refund and got it on our credit card in a couple of days. (We have had to file chargeback requests for three similar cancellations in France against Easy Jet, Volotea and Air France, none of whom are making refunds as easily as Delta). ×
Boy if chargeback = dispute the cc companies must be overwhelmed...between the airlines and some hotels trying to go with vouchers when they cannot offer the service...wonder how many will actually get resolved.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thankful for my procrastination in booking June flights. I hope everyone gets full refunds due to cancellation of flights. Good luck!
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Odin
Yeah right, poor old Delta rescheduled a whole bunch of flights in the hope you wouldn't ask for a refund.
I have flown hundreds of times and have never encountered such silly "re-scheduling" or delays in notifying customers of flights they knew were being cancelled. We actually had multiple changes for these two flights from Delta over the last several weeks. The ones I recounted were only the last ones. If you think Delta (and other airlines) have not advised their software people to simply re-schedule people over and over, and do everything possible to discourage refunds, you haven't paid attention to the cash crunch the airlines have faced. ×

Last edited by whitehall; Apr 29th, 2020 at 08:22 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lois2
Boy if chargeback = dispute the cc companies must be overwhelmed...between the airlines and some hotels trying to go with vouchers when they cannot offer the service...wonder how many will actually get resolved.
They are overwhelmed. But what good is a credit card if you cannot get a refund for services not provided? Both US and EU regulations require the option of full refunds in the case of airline cancellations. Obviously, grad a voucher if the airlines make the flight and you have to cancel. It is always recommended that you go to the airline or merchant first, but if that doesn't work, a credit card dispute might be the only recourse, especially if you fear the airline might go under before you get your money. I believe EU regulations require airlines to provide refunds within something like 10 days, and many European airlines have already announced they will ignore that rule. Also, be careful, because some credit card issuers, and terms do vary, require that you make your request within 60-120 days after you make the charge.
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Air Travel forum
Old May 1st, 2020, 07:39 PM

Hi - Is it an official policy that if your flight is changed (my 6/30 nonstop American Airlines JFK to Madrid flight is now JFK - DFW - Madrid with an earlier departure time and additional hours added to the trip) a refund is easily obtained? I haven’t taken any action yet, assuming trip will be canceled, but was interested to hear your experience. Thanks for any information you can share.

Last edited by nylilly; May 1st, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 1st, 2020, 10:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The EU is planning a temporary change in its rules. While it was obligatory in the past to provide a refund for EU customers, the EU is going to authorize just giving a credit voucher instead due to airline cash flow problems.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
The EU is planning a temporary change in its rules. While it was obligatory in the past to provide a refund for EU customers, the EU is going to authorize just giving a credit voucher instead due to airline cash flow problems.
Sometimes, as Kerouac as stated elsewhere, news can become warped as it makes its way across the pond. But based on recent reports we have seen online, the EU and its member countries have been at loggerheads over this. The EU so far has stood beside consumers, and most member countries have sided with airlines (and trying to encourage consumers to get back on planes). However, it is up to the members to enforce the EU rules. Right now the law is still the law, and airlines are simply ignoring it, even Air France which received a bailout from the government. There is an ongoing discussion of a compromise that may leave the law as it is, with no added pressure from the EU on its members for enforcement. This may be the preferred result for people like me who have disputed our credit card charges. Other options under discussion is to sweeten the voucher offers or for the EU to allow a more liberal voucher/refund plan, as one or two airlines now offer (i.e. provide a credit that is good for one or two years, with a refund promised if it goes unused.) I would be surprised if the EU would backdate its policies and simply allow airlines to dictate their own voucher policies to consumers. ×
Old May 2nd, 2020, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nylilly
Hi - Is it an official policy that if your flight is changed (my 6/30 nonstop American Airlines JFK to Madrid flight is now JFK - DFW - Madrid with an earlier departure time and additional hours added to the trip) a refund is easily obtained? I haven’t taken any action yet, assuming trip will be canceled, but was interested to hear your experience. Thanks for any information you can share.
First I know nothing about AA and customer service...however that is considered a major change and if it were Delta yes you could cancel and get money back. It is a very strange schedule change...I seriously doubt they will offer DFW to MAD if not flying JFK-MAD. I guess I would try for the refund now . If you have trouble don't do anything...those flights will be cancelled too.
Old May 2nd, 2020, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the perspective..United has also done some whacky things to their schedule! I’ve flown EWK to Palm Springs the last few Christmases, on a nonstop flight that was perfect. Now, I’d have to go through SFO or LAX. Yuck. #firstworldproblem