Delta FF tickets changed on me

Feb 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Delta FF tickets changed on me

I had four tickets booked on NW and Continental using Delta miles (booked just before the end of the Continental/Delta association). Then it seems that NW cancelled their flights so Delta put me on two stops instead of one and both connections ONLY have a 35 minute layover in Atlanta and SLC.

Honestly, can 2 adults and 2 children be expected to make a 35 minute connection in Atlanta or SLC? My fear is that if we miss our connection they will split us up to get us to our destination. The schedule is a skeleton of what it used to be, which is why we now have to take two connections with 35 min layovers.

What are my rights? What would you do? Being split up and possibly half our group stuck in one city while the other half starts the vacation is not an option.
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Check what other schedules on DL are available and then call DL to change to that. Do your homework first, before calling.
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

yeah, i've looked at the schedule and everything except a late night flight has multiple stops. Outside of the 35 minute layovers it would be about 3 hour + layovers in two places which would make for a looooong day with kids.

Just not sure what to do? I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the airlines can FORCE us to split up?
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM

They won't force you to split up, just that you may not get to your destination for a while.

Or if you find a better itinerary elsewhere, just buy that ticket and have DL redeposit your awards.
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

the trip is not until June so I am trying to hold out in hopes of a better flight schedule - any thoughts on if or when they could rearrange summer flights?

good to know they won't force you to split up
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Last time we had a change of planes in Atlanta - it was walking from gate A22 to A24 - so it all depends on your flights.
Feb 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

yes I know it is possible to actually have a gate next to each other but it's not something I can count on.

when I called the airlines they did tell me that I can redeposit miles with no fee. Right now I've been holding out to see if the schedule changes for the better.

What would you suggest in this situation - there is a one-stop night flight which is slightly better than arriving mid-afternoon on a 2 stop but my fear is that IF I change to the night flight and a better schedule opens I won't have the freebie pass to change again. Or I might lose the option to redeposit without penalty??? Anyone know where I stand on those issues?
Feb 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM

I've gotten from A to E at ATL (for a transatlantic flight, no less, and on an unprotected connection) in under 15 minutes, dragging my husband and two kids with me. You can make very, very good time at ATL.

I would not suggest that anybody else try this particular stunt, though.

Were I you I'd sit tight and see what happens with the schedules. Every time this has happened to me (and it happens routinely when I book award flights many months in advance)I've ended up with a better option, usually non-stop. I actually welcome schedule changes that make my initial convoluted itinerary unreasonable, as then they can force inventory on a direct flight.
Feb 5th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Agree with Therese - just hang tight for now and recheck closer to your travel dates. If you redeposit you are back at square one and can't be sure that even the flights you have now would be available.
Feb 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Summer flight scheduling is already out-at least the airline crews know what will be operating.
Feb 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM

Even if the flight schedules are out that does not preclude one or more of the flight times changing by enough minutes that the original layovers either become more feasible (because they are longer) or no longer "legal", such that Delta will re-route the OP.
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

forgive my ignorance but OP?
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM

OP = Original Poster = first post in the thread = you!
Feb 6th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

gracias!
Feb 6th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Hmmm. Talk to the airline. I had a similar situation with NW/Delta in 2008 December - had a NW FF ticket for my brother in law from mexico City to Boston thru Detroit with a 35 minutes stopover. Was positive he wouldn't make his connection but he did (he had only carry-on luggage though). Didn't ask him about the details. Different airport but same airline so maybe they have some sort of arrangement to help people get through - I doubt it though.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM

I've had something similar happen.

I purchased a ticket on Delta several months ago for early August. I got a good price that early and there was one stop in each direction.

Then things started to happen. I check my itinerary every week and each time there's at least one change. Now I have two stops in each direction.

While the arrival time to the destination hasn't changed, my original departure time to come home was 3:15PM allowing me over 4 hours of usable time on that day. Then it became 11:55AM.

That only gave me a couple of early morning hours. Now they have me leaving at 1:15PM and that's a bit better.

I checked other airlines and now they all have much higher fares. So, even if Delta were to refund me the fare, it would cost a couple of hundred dollars more to book with somebody else.

It's almost like bait-and-switch. They got me on their airline when the prices were lower and the schedule was good and started to switch me around when prices increased and it was no longer worth it to switch. Not fair.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM

Myer, you scared me I had to log-in to check our Delta/KLM flights for early Agust! Ours are the same. We'll fly SFO - CPH RT.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM

Myer,

Are there other Delta flights that work better. You can call and request them.

However, as you curse Delta. The only airline I know of that does not do this is Southwest. Of course they won't LET you buy this early.

It's a risk of buying early and locking in that airfare.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Update - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A new, updated schedule recently came out and I called Delta and they switched me back to my original flights with no charge. But yes you are right, when you purchase tickets months in advance it is NOT uncommon for them to switch equipment or scheduling multiple times.
Apr 2nd, 2010, 05:32 PM

CarolA,

As of now Delta only has two-stop flights from here to there and back. So they have nothing better.

It's always possible that if business picks up more flights will be added and it could get better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO