Delta AMEX credit card $95 annual fee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like a lot of us, I'm sure, it's been a year since we got Delta's new American Express credit card with it's tempting offers: miles, companion tickets, etc. Very soon, the $95 annual fee will come up. They have since added free checked bags to the incentive list, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it to us (in)frequent fliers. We're using all carry-ons for our next trip, the companion ticket costs $99, and I have other cards that have nice incentives, too.

How do people feel? Is $95 per year worth holding onto the card? Has anyone been successful in getting the $95 fee waived, even after their first year?
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Do a simple COST/BENEFIT analysis. First, an AE card is not very useful outside of the US. And it is not as widely accepted in the US as other cards. But if you get a free ticket each year worth three to four dollars and you only pay $99 and $95 it is probably worth it. And remember canceling a credit card has negative impact on your credit score -- as stupid as that might sound.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM

We had the same quandry about keeping an AA miles card, the $75 annual fee for a card we rarely used since switching to a BA card with better incentives. We finally decided against keeping it and telephoned the customer service number on the back of the card to cancel. The customer service rep really didn't want to let us go and finally said that if we used the card three times in the next two moths, he'd refund the annual fee. We did, he did, and we kept the card for another year.

Worth a try?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:05 AM

Delta AMEX also has a no yearly fee card. You don't get the companion ticket each year, but we rarely used ours anyway. I called a couple years ago to see if they could waive the $95 yearly fee & the rep told me about this card.
Karen
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM

If you want to close a credit card it will change your FICO score, so if you refinance, or buy a house or a car, or aply for a loan - be careful.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:14 PM

Like Karen, I got my card converted to the no annual fee one when it came time to pay the fee. I get 1 mile per $2 instead of the usual 1 mile per $1 with the for-fee card. But I do not charge so much that an annual fee card is worth it to me.

Because of the hit your credit score might take, if you can't get them to waive the fee otherwise, then just have them do the conversion.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM

I buy the platinum card for $150 and that includes a free companion ticket -- making it less expensive that the 95 plus 99 one. I do make sure to uee the companion ticket -- if only to visit family each year so it works out less expensive for me to purchase the card than the tickets.

I charge EVERYTHING on it to rack up the miles as we are not frequent fliers -- fly 2-6 times a year I think -- but the miles have enabled us to go to Ireland business class; South Africa business class twice and we are now saving up for Australia. I get about 75,000 a year by putting everything on it. For the first and second $25,000 I spend, I get 10,000 bonus miles that qualify for medallion status so for the first time I get medallion level status if I fly 5,000 miles and spend $50,000 on the card. My theory is nothing is too small to put on the card -- just pay it in full every month and do not carry a balance -- the interest would be deadly!