Search

Declaring extra value on baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Declaring extra value on baggage

An experience today and word of advice--

As many of you know, airlines' maximum liability for lost or damaged baggage on international flights is only about $9 per pound (!).

Today I was sending off my son on an international United flight. He was travelling with a $400-500 guitar that ordinarily would only be insured for about $50 (5 lbs).

At check-in we asked to declare and purchase "excess value" for the guitar.

The agent insisted there was no such thing, she's worked there for 10 yrs, blah-blah.

We politely persisted and cited UAL's own policies listed on web site.

Finally a supervisor came over who knew slightly more about "excess value" delarations and we muddled through it. Mission accomplished.

It appears Excess Value declaration is uncommon, and that airline agents may deny it even exists.

Next time, I will print out sheets from their web site to bring along -- it may prompt the agent to dig deeper before giving up.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:13 AM

I agree gate agents should know their own airline policies. My guess is that the reason they did not was that in almost all cases this would be covered under a person's homeowners or rental insurance, so most people do not buy it.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 02:15 AM

I agree gate agents should know their own airlines policies and procedures. My guess is that they did not because it is used so infrequently because people are insured in other ways - homeowners or rental policy most often, but also trip insurance, credit card protection on purchased item or even thru their employer. While it seems from your prior posts that these may not have applied to your son - and also, does not take care of item if you carry a larger deductible.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Do you mind sharing how much it cost?

Keith
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Keith, it was $5 charge per $100 of additional declared value.

We declared $500 to cover the guitar & case, and paid $25 extra.

The agent printed out an addendum to the baggage claim check to record all this.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Gail,
yes, I have large homeowner's deductible ($3K) to keep the premium manageable, which therefore would not have covered the guitar.

The $25 extra charge (each way) was still much cheaper than the cost & hassle of temporarily getting lower homeowners deductible.

I felt uneasy about the rugged handling delicate instruments might get with UAL, although son often travels on Southwest Air with no problem. I didn't think it was great idea to be travelling with the guitar, but son couldn't bear to travel without it ... so the extra UAL fee seemed a reasonable compromise for us.

He has a travel insurance policy to cover medical emergency & medical evacuation, but the baggage loss portion wasn't much ($200-250).

I figured it might also be easier to file a claim direct with UAL, if UAL were to turn the guitar into kindling wood.