Search

Continental tickets to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental tickets to Rome

Hello dear Fodories!
My daughter will go to Italy this summer for a program in Siena. I need to buy tickets for designated flights (June-July). I have been checking the prices regularly, and from the last 2 weeks the price dropped from $1580 to $1300 for a round trip.
Stupid question: should I wait for a lower price? From my point of view it is still high...
It is from Newark to Rome.

Thank you!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:07 AM

My crystal ball is broken right now but usually, there are better prices in March. If one airline lowers prices the others often try to match the price. However, a few years ago, they only lowered their prices from Europe to the US--not from U.S. to Europe.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:03 AM

We bought our tickets to Croatia on Continental for summer travel several months ago. We paid $1,090/pp all in from the mid-west, which I think is a very good price.

I can't tell you if airfares will go down in the coming months (oil prices seem to be heading down) but from what I read here in Fodors, the general consensus is that prices are much higher this year, especially in that June-July corridor months. That, plus the fact that Italy is considered an expensive destination, fare-wise, makes me think that $1300 may be the norm rather than the exception. YMMV

(BTW, I was able to snag fares at AA, to Milan and out of Venice for Spring Break this year for a mere $699/person from mid-West, when AA had a 3-day sale last November)
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
I just found out the the designated flights had been changed (thank goodness I did not buy the tickets!) and now I have to figure out the way to get her to Rome via AA.

I already put myself on a few watch lists and see what happens.
I'll watch for specials myself as well.

Ahhhh! So frustrating!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Hi matroskin!!

Also try 1800flyeurope. If you don't mind her having 1 stopover on the way to FCO and back, I saw fares out of EWR for as little as $1100 all in when I plugged in dates 6/23 - 7/5.

Good Luck!!