Continental reduced flights to Tucson?

Jan 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Continental reduced flights to Tucson?

I just tried to book a flight into Tucson and there are no longer any direct flights from IAH that will work for me. There are now only 2 direct flights a day listed and nothing later than noon. (They recently had afternoon and evening flights as well from IAH-Tus.) The Continental site is scheduling you through LAX to get to Tucson if your flight arrives in IAH after noon. I called CO to see if it is a computer glitch but they didn't think so, they are probably just seeing what I am seeing. I could not find news on CO dropping fights. I checked UA but they had not picked up the flights "magically". I booked PHX instead this time. Anyone have information about this?

Thanks!
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM

United has flights from Houston to Tucson at 5:45 and 8:50.
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, right. I just flew into TUS on Sunday from IAH on an evening flight on CO and now it is not showing up anywhere. I am just wondering if those CO flights into TUS are really gone or if it is a computer problem.

(Although UA will fare it, it is more than when it is CO all the way --CO offers an overnight in Houston and a flight out the next morning for less than the UA flight.)

Not a big deal, I just wondered if someone knew. Thanks
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM

This is what happens:

TUC is one of the markets CO announced late last year that would see their ERJ services upgraded to CRJ-700 with first class and E+ seats, operated by UA Express carrier Skywest. And they put in CO11xx flight numbers for those flights, starting Jan 4.

Problem is that CO's pilot union contract long has a "scope clause" that prohibits non-CO pilots flying jets with more than 59 seats sold as CO flights. The UA Express CRJ-700 has 66 seats.

The dispute went into arbitration, and just a few days ago, it ruled in the pilot union's favor. As a result, none of these flights can be sold as CO flights since, but they are indeed operating. They operate out of regular CO/COEX gates at both the hubs and at the out stations.

As you may find, there is a lot of confusion, and I hope the two sides are talking and trying to figure out a solution to this.

In the meantime, these flights should show up as UA flights, and you should be able to buy them there.

Same issue with the ERJ-170 operated by Shuttle America out of EWR.
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan! Not exactly what I was hoping for (as it means I have to buy through United and pay more or fly someone else) but at least it explains it. And maybe they will get it all figured out...