Connection time at Heathrow

Mar 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Connection time at Heathrow

I recently got a lot of good information about carry-ons and Heathrow security, and all the stories about lengthy security procedures now prompt this question.

What would your minimum connection time be at LHR? I'm changing airlines, from American to TAP. My travel agent gave me 1 1/2 hour connection and think I need to come up with Plan B for the likelihood that we won't make it, do you agree?

Thanks, Laurie
Mar 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM

British Airways would not make a reservation for us because it would have under 2 hours between connections. It would have been to Bulgaria and BA really wanted a 3 hour connection time.
Mar 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM

Also, everytime we have flown to LHR from the states we have been late - as much as 3 hours.
Mar 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM

Are you traveling on two separate tickets, one to London, the other to Portugal? If so, then if you miss the connection neither airline will be responsible to see that you get to your destination.

If it's on one ticket then you'll be put on the next available flight to Portugal.

If you don't know or your travel agent won't tell you, get a new travel agent.

TAP operates from Terminal 1 at Heathrow; AA uses Terminal 3. When you arrive, follow the "flight connections" signs to a bus that will take you to T1. When you get there your carry-on bags will be inspected and you'll go through the usual security screening, then be released to the departures area. If you don't have a boarding pass for your next flight you'll need to get it at the TAP counter.

Here's the LHR website that shows 75 min. is the minimum connection time. I've gone from AA to a T1 departure much quicker than that, but if your incoming flight is late, all bets are off.

I hope you got a great price to justify switching between airline alliances and terminals at LHR rather than using a more direct service.

http://tinyurl.com/a4yuy2
Mar 1st, 2010, 03:26 PM

(no expert here but...) I like at least 3 hours at Heathrow.
Mar 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM

This is a doable connection under normal circumstances. Your only risk is if circumstances aren't normal. If this is booked as a single ticket, then I would go ahead with it, hope for the best, and insist on re-accomodation if things go wrong. If it is two separate tickets, then I would book a longer layover - 3 hours or more.
Mar 2nd, 2010, 06:40 AM

My experience (5 times) at Heathrow, it's one airport where we always seem to either circle waiting to land, or sit on the tarmac waiting to deplane. Not sure the reasons, but seems I was always at least 30 mins. later than scheduled actually getting off the plane. Even though we technicall "arrived" on time (still up in the air!)
Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone,
I appreciate all of the help. This ticket was booked for me by my university host in Lisbon so I had no control over it at all. I think I usually fly LHR to Lisbon on BA, which is an AA partner, so I'm not sure what happened on this ticket.

If we miss the connection, should we talk to the American people in Lisbon or go to the TAP people? (I know there is a later TAP flight, and there are two later BA flights).

Thanks much, Laurie
Mar 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM

If you miss the flight go to the TAP people.

Do you have a physical ticket? Or do you have 2? Or do you have 2 e-tickets?
Mar 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo,
This is all one roundtrip ticket booked by AA with an AA locator and one TAP segment. Laurie