Connecting Flights with Separate Tickets Same Airline

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In March, I bought a round trip ticket from DEN to PHL. Because of the pandemic, tickets were next to nothing so I snagged one quickly. Now, I'm 2 months out from the trip and I want to buy a connecting ticket from PHL to Harrisburg because it'll be closer to my destination and cheaper than renting a car. So, my question is, when I check in at DEN, do I also get my ticket for PHL to Harrisburg? Or do I have to wait to get it once I'm at PHL? Will I have to exit the terminal and re-check in/go through security? It's been a while since I traveled so I apologize if these are naive questions.

All domestic traveling
Same airline (AA)
No checked luggage - just a carry on.
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 01:46 PM

Unless you need to check luggage you don't need to "check in" at DEN or anywhere else. Just check in on line 24 hours in advance and get your boarding passes for both flights.

Also, before you book a separate ticket understand that if any delay occurs in your first flight, because you are on separate tickets you won't have any protection on your second flight if you miss it. They won't just put you on the next flight. Will be the as if you overslept or got a flat tire on the way to the airport. Same on the return.

You might before you book a second ticket check your change terms on the original ticket. Depending on when you booked you might be entitled to change it. And a different destination may be possible. All without a change fee. You may pay the now higher price for the new ticket but if you save the change fee you are at least protected for the connection.

Also, it depends on the airport configuration but in US airports on the same airline for connections to domestic you don't usually have to go through security again. Others who know PHL airport better than me can advise.
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 05:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Give AA a call and ask if they can link the two PNRs
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 01:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not silly questions. But I agree this is a situation I'd just get on the phone and try to get the airline to help you sort it out. That's going to be more effective than anything we can guess about here. Good luck!
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 10:16 AM

You don't really need to call just to get that information, it is readily available on line. If you have time to stay on hold it might be worth a try to see if they can add the new leg without losing the cheap fare.

Commuter flights to Harrisburg would depart from Terminal F, and you would have to go through TSA screening again, unless you use the shuttle.

If you miss your flight there is also a train.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 10:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My suggestion was to get the two tickets linked on the same PNR (Passenger Name Record) - that way it wouldn't depend on the 'kindness' of the agents in DEN checking your bags through to Harrisburg
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 05:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless things have changed, "linking" two PNRs means only that a notation will be added to each record mentioning the other flight. "Merging" two PNRs isn't done. The OP isn't checking bags, so the only real safeguard is to be sure there's enough time between arrival and departure to ensure that even if the first flight is late you won't miss the second. But I've also never found the airlines, particularly AA at one of its hubs, to be all that insensitive if one misconnects. They'd probably just put you on the next available flight as if it was all on one ticket.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 10:15 AM

Before you buy a second ticket you should explore changing the ticket you already have. A lot of change and cancel policies have changed due to covid. You might, in effect use your existing ticket to buy a new one for the trip you now want to take. It probably will have a higher fare, but maybe with a lower fare,

You used "ticket" a couple times when you meant "boarding pass". You buy a ticket, then you check in and then you get a boarding pass.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 12:01 PM

vriggin, what did you pay for that ticket in March. Today, "next to nothing" means $71 round-trip nonstop on AA, DEN-PHL-DEN.

Round-trip DEN- MDT via CLT is $155 on AA.
Round-trip PHL-MDT is $165 on AA

Denver to Harrisburg is less expensive than PHL to Harrisburg (MDT)
(I used itasoftware to get those three ticket prices for trips of 6-8 nights departing late September)

Questions to ask AA: Is there a change fee for the ticket(s) you hold? Can you change the destination?