Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Connecting flights same airline separate tickets

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Of course, airlines never make it easy. The flight from DEN is no problem since we have a 20 hour layover.Itíís on the return.that problems come up. Tried to book Athens to Denver. Can depart Athens at 8:10 arrive LHR at 10:00 and depart LHR at 14:30 for Denver. This apparently requires a one way ticket. The ticket is priced at over $10,000.No way. So studying flights, we can travel from Athens to LHR on one ticket and LHR to Denver on another. Just wondering about luggage. Doubtful that they will check it through to DEN at Athens since separate tickets. Right ? So how much more time to allow once we arrive at LHR to collect bags, recheck, go through security etc. ?
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Never mind. I have figured things out, Just a small moment of panic.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 12:44 PM

BA does not through check luggage on separate bookings, even though both reservations are BA.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I figured as much but will have 4 hours so thinking that’s enough time to recheck bags get through security etc. Wondering if we’ll have to go through passport control. I hardly ever fly routes with connecting flights so not familiar with procedure. Will be coming from Athens through LHR and on to DEN
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:43 AM

Assuming that those flights both arrive and depart at/from Terminal 5:

Arrival Gate > Follow signs for Baggage Claim (this can be just a short walk, or a longer trek including a ride on a people mover) > Passport Control > Baggage Claim > Exit thru Customs to Arrivals Level > Go up to Departures Level > Check bags > Security (Check the big displays if North or South checkpoint have different waiting times. You can take either) > Shop or stay in waiting area in T5 Concourse A > until gate for flight to DEN is shown > Walk to A gates, take underground people mover for B or C gates.

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cowboy. I did figure that out and we should have a good 3 hours (;4 hour stopover but after you deduct. time to get to gate time to disembark get and allow the necessary time to be at gate to embark narrows the margin down a bit. It’s the hassle that makes it questionable. If I use the same ticket DEN / Athens/ DEN. there is an hour and 40 minute stopover at LHR on outbound ticket. . Being able to check baggage through to Athens atDEN will help and thinking we should be able to make it...follow the purple line to buses, bus from T3 to T5 go through security and go to gate. Again if on same ticket and BA considering this a doable connection, if we miss it due to flight delay., they are responsible for getting us to Athens. Thinking this might be best option, but was looking forward to the 24 hour layover at LHR on the route from DEN to LHR and next day to Athens.
Again thanks for your input, most helpful.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 08:10 AM

Yeah, changing terminals in Heathrow is not convenient. It can be quite a walk (or not), depending at which gate at T3 your flight from Denver will arrive. Same at T5 where the walk to your gate to Athens can be a matter of 3 minutes after security. Or a longer trek with that underground train that connects to B and C gates. Nevertheless, I would feel comfortable with 1 hour and 40 minutes.

And still much more convenient than in the old days when I was in college, and flying from Berlin to Denver or Phoenix meant that you had to take the (then free and part of the official BA ticket) coach from Heathrow to Gatwick (and back when flying home). As both cities were only served from Gatwick for some years. Now that was a major pain in the butt.. but you do what you can when you're 23 and need to save as much on airfare as you can
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 09:05 AM

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...ween-terminals

This page gives u do on how to get between T3 & T5 & vv, if using the train, you now need a ticket.

Be aware that most of BAs bag drop is self service at T5 which can be a very time consuming affair if you get people in front of you who donít know what they are doing or have lots of luggage eg family travelling. Not applicable on a single ticket, your luggage should be through checked.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did get information on connecting flghts at LHR. Easy peasy just follow the purple line to screen giving flight information to learn your Terminal and gate, then catch bus ( special buses for such transport ) to different terminals when you get to proper terminal, follow purple line to security,.Seems the idea of a purple line allows even the most confused passenger to figure it out. They also have people around if you need help.

We did experience bag drop atbT 5 last year. We weren’t as bad as some. We also encountered it at several other airports so became very efficient with the proceeds, but as you say having someone in front of you or several passengers in front of you who has no idea can be time assuming.

Thinking again that the easiest transit would be the one with 1 hour 40 minutes no checked baggage. BA responsible if first flight delayed and we are unable to connect. All of us are experienced travelers and my son often more astute than I am at figuring things out.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 03:25 PM

History traveller FWIW, we have travelled through LHR on separate tickets many times. Have always spent at least an overnight in between flights.