Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Connecting in FRA airport on separate tickets

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

I'd like to ask about a connection in FRA airport. I am expected to have a connection in FRA between arriving from a non-Schengen country (arriving from Singapore) and departing to a non-Schengen country (continuing to TLV, i.e. Tel-Aviv in Israel), with the arriving flight and departing flight being on separate tickets.
Similarly, on the way back I will have a transfer on separate tickets where I will arrive from TLV and continue on an onward flight to Singapore.

I will be traveling with carry-on baggage only. Also, I technically am allowed to enter Germany but would just prefer to stay airside.

I looked at past data on the FRA website, and it seems that flights to TLV usually depart from gate C13.

I am hoping I could get help with a few questions:

(1) In the direction SIN -> FRA -> TLV, would it possible to do such an airside transfer if one has separate tickets for the arriving flight and departing flight? could there be any problem entering the airside area from where I arrive, if I am transfering to a flight which is on a separate ticket from the one I arrived with? Otherwise maybe a problem transferring airside due to needing to carry out certain formalities landside (e.g. verifying my documents?)

(2) How about the direction TLV -> FRA -> SIN, would there be any issues there or is it basically the same?

Thank you very much
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 11:07 AM

You can change airside at FRA from any non-Schengen arrival to any non-Schengen departure without going through passport control.
You will go through security, though, and you should have the boarding pass for your connecting flight.
If you cannot check-in and print or download your boarding pass at home, you could have an issue.

Caveat for trip (1):
Departures for Israel have extra security screenings.
"Usually" those are done airside, at or near the gate waiting area.
But I have no clue how it's done in Frankfurt.
You should ask your airline FRA>TLV to get some precise information.

Return trip (2) will have no issues other than also the need to have a boarding pass for FRA > SIN.