Notices

Frankfurt airport

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt airport

We are flying into Frankfurt via Lufthansa and then have a flight from Frankfurt to Nuremburg. Do we have to collect our checked baggage at Frankfurt naggage claim,then go through customs/immigration and then recheck the baggage for the flight to Nuremburg. Or will our lugage go all the way to Nuremburg before we collect it and go through customs. Seems like the last trip in Munich where we were catching a flight to Cologne, we had to go to Munich baggage claim collect our checked bags, then go back into the air port through customs and then re-check our baggage for the flight to Cologne>
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Can you ask this question of your airline?
Seems that no one here has the answer! Di
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 02:10 AM

As you are connecting to another LH flight, your luggage will almost certainly be checked through to Nuremberg (German spelling: Nürnberg) so all you have to do is to go through passport control, security and then to your gate. In fact, all you need to do is to check your gate number on your boarding pass for the connecting flight (and re-check it on departure board in case it's been changed; LH usully puts out connecting flight info on your seatback monitor prior to landing), and then follow the signs for your gate number, which will guide you through Passkontrolle, security and to your gate.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM

Whenever I've had a connecting flight in Frankfurt (from US), my baggage has been check through to my final destination but those destinations have been outside Germany. Lufthansa will certainly know the answer to this question.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Hopefully you have allowed enough time for plane change as Frankfurt Airport is a total zoo! Your bags will be checked through but you have to go through passport control, security and in some cases through security twice if you move to another terminal all this takes min of a hour better 2 hours.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

We have three hours between flights so we should have time to go through security check. Thanks for the responses. Our third trip in 6 years and after the 11 our flight each time my memory must not be good as I cannot remember what we did upon arrival and transfer to connecting flight.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Your baggage will be checked through until your final destination.

The USA is the only country in the world where you have to collect and recheck your baggage.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 07:47 AM

>The USA is the only country in the world where you have to collect and recheck your baggage.

Last week I had to go through the same protocol in Chile, so there is at least one other country.

However, all airports in Europe have an international flight or two coming in/out, at least holiday charter flights, which is not the case in some countries. So any airport has a customs office, and there is no need to go through a central one.