Notices

Changing Planes in Frankfurt

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Planes in Frankfurt

We're flying from the US to Naples, Italy in Sept. and our route goes through Frankfurt, Germany. We have about a 2 hour layover.

I've only been to Europe once, but never had to change planes.

Do you go through customs in Frankfurt and then again in Italy? If so, is it pretty efficient and should 2 hours be enough time?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Unless you're smuggling contraband, customs is normally a matter of passing through a green door.

Immigration is what takes the time. You'll pass through that in Frankfurt, and it can take a while, especially if there are several planes arriving at the same time. It can take up to an hour.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You go through Immigration (get your passport stamped) in Frankfurt. You enter Italy and don't get a second glance from anyone. You only get checked once, at the first stop into the EU. 2 hours is more than enough time. Just be aware that most US flights arrive about the same time, so it can get crowded.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM

What you go through is passport control, as Frankfurt will be your entry point for Schengen area (of which Italy and Germany are a part). There will also be security check. Your luggage, if on the same airline or part of same global alliance, will most likely be checked through to Italy, so you go through (virtually non-existant) customs at Naples.
If you are transferring from LH to LH or within Star Alliance, you won't leave Terminal 1, and while FRA is a busy and a bit confusing airport, 2 hours is more than ample. Make sure you cjeck the departure board to ensure that your gate hasn't changed from the one printed on your boarding pass. Minimum connection time I believe is 45 min, and they are quite good at ferrying people promptly through security to your gate if your incoming flight is delayed.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Two hours is plenty of time, even if your plane is, say, 30 or 45 minutes late.

When you get off the plane in Frankfurt, the first thing to do is to check the airport monitors for the departure gate for the Naples flight. The departure gate will begin with either A or B (for example, A24, or B18). Once you know the departure gate, look for the signs directing you to that gate, and follow those signs.

At some point along the way, you will come to a passport checkpoint. In all likelihood, you will not have to go through a security check if you have arrived in Hall A or Hall B.

Although you have plenty of time, be aware that some gates are very far apart, especially if you have to go from Hall A to Hall B (or vice-versa), or if you are unlucky enough to arrive in Hall C.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM

You might be in Terminal 1, but Terminal 1 has concourses A and B which are quite far from each other connected by a tram as well as by an underground passage. I have gone to Italy via FRA on Lufthansa and I have had variations of concourse A to B, B to A, and B to B changes. A-B changes require going through a general passport control and a security check which is usually busy and time consuming. For a B to B change, there is ANOTHER passport control station in the middle of the concourse B. This one is smaller but often quicker to go through - if you can find it. You still go through a security check.

The FRA map, http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con....file/file.pdf, shows this second passport control under Border Control in concourse B on upper deck just below the letter "i".

I learned about the second passport control on concourse B by asking a Lufthansa staff as I got off the plane. They can tell you if that option is appropriate for your change.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 04:00 AM

Thank you for the Airport map I will be there in September and hoping to catch the Lufthansa bus to Strasbourg