Having separate "connecting" flights

Feb 5th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Having separate "connecting" flights

Hello!

This is my first time flying internationally by myself and I have a question regarding connections.

I bought a roundtrip ticket from Chicago (ORD) to Berlin (TXL) but I wanted to buy a one-way ticket from Chicago (ORD) to Louisville (SDF) on the way back.
I saw that it was cheaper to buy the two tickets separately than together...

If I did this, would I have to get my baggage, leave the airport terminal after my flight from Berlin to Chicago and then re-check in at the counter and go through security for my flight to Louisville or can I go straight from my flight from Berlin to the terminal for my flight to Louisville?

Also, my flight from Berlin gets back into Chicago at 6:35 PM and I bought my ticket to Louisville for 9:04PM... if I have to re-check in, would I have enough time for my second flight?

Thank you so much!
Feb 5th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Hi and welcome to Fodor's!

You'll have to claim your bags and go through customs on arrival in Chicago.

Whether you'll have to go outside security to recheck your bags to SDF depends on the airline(s) you're using. Read this - http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myfl...s/default.aspx - which might offer guidance. Basically, you'll need a boarding pass for your connecting flight. If there's a service counter for your airline in the area just past customs, then you ought to be able to get a boarding pass and check your bags onward. If there isn't, then you'll need to take your bags out onto the street and make your way to the check-in areas for the connecting airline.

2 1/2 hours ought to be enough time in the worst case, but if your incoming flight from Berlin is late, or there's a giant lineup for immigration, it might be tighter.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Feb 5th, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Feb 6th, 2018, 08:21 AM

For your next trip, consider using a multi-destination search function to cover your trans-Atlantic itinerary and connect to Louisville. Depending on the combination of airlines, you might receive your second boarding pass in Berlin, which helps with the connection. If the two airlines sell each other's tickets, they will take responsibility for the successful transfer. Instead of checking in with the second airline in ORD, you proceed to the departure lounge. And there could be a check desk for your luggage just past US customs. I'm not familiar enough with ORD to say all this is certain, but it is probable in many big gateway airports. You might also save some money on the second leg of the return trip.
Feb 6th, 2018, 12:58 PM
J62

Please tell us what airlines your flights are on and we can give you a more informed answer. If both your flights are on UA or a UA partner (Lufthansa), then you will be able to tag your bags all the way through to your destination when you check your bags in Berlin. You will still need to retrieve them in ORD for customs as gardyloo has indicated, but the drop off would be simple.
Feb 6th, 2018, 01:15 PM

If you book separate tickets, any serious delay on the first leg makes you a no show on the second, with loss of ticket and very expensive walk up price for the replacement.
Feb 7th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Whether you have separate tickets or not, you always have to go thru immigration and customs at your first point of entry into the US. Regarding boarding passes for your domestic flight, depending on which airline you are flying, you should be able to do online checkin 24 hours beforehand and download your boarding pass as a PDF/email or to the airline's app if you have that downloaded on your device. In this case, if you have to go outside security, you are already checked in and only have to use bag drop.

Separate tickets are sometimes less expensive than multi-city combinations, the risk is on you however if your first leg is significantly late, as most airlines charge a change fee if you change your reservation 24hrs beforehand plus the fare differential, if you no-show which is the likely option, you might not be able to use any of the ticket value towards a new reservation. Airlines are not travel agents and offer very limited options on other airlines flights, usually only for alliance/partner airline services.
Mar 6th, 2018, 12:02 PM

I am sorry prashnatnative, you statement makes absolute no sense. You are always better to have all your flights on one tickets that having single flights that are not together.
Mar 6th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by fmpden View Post
I am sorry prashnatnative, you statement makes absolute no sense. You are always better to have all your flights on one tickets that having single flights that are not together.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood prashnanatives's post. S/he isn't talking about separate tickets but non-stop vs. connecting. >>Connecting flight is not good, It is always better to book single flight. <<.

Not that that is always possible . . .
Mar 7th, 2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood prashnanatives's post. S/he isn't talking about separate tickets but non-stop vs. connecting. >>Connecting flight is not good, It is always better to book single flight. <<.

Not that that is always possible . . .
Actually, I believe prashnanative was expressing that it is preferable to have all flights of however many connections all issued on a single ticket so that if a delay en route caused arrival at a through point to be later than the next departure the airline would be responsible to re-accommodate.
Mar 11th, 2018, 07:33 PM

It can turn out just fine if there's no delay, but if something goes off schedule, and you're late for one flight, then you'll be in trouble. If your airline is dependable, I would maybe give it a try. Good luck!
Mar 21st, 2018, 04:26 PM

Per gardyloo's excellent link:

Travelers who are not checked all the way through to their final destination and who have a connecting flight with either United Airlines or American Airlines can re-check their luggage with an airline employee immediately after clearing the CBP Processing Area to avoid carrying their luggage to the domestic terminals.

Passengers who are not flying with United Airlines or American Airlines for their connecting flight and who are not checked all the way through to their final destination must take their luggage with them upon exiting Terminal 5 and re-check it with their airline at the corresponding domestic terminal.