Connecting Flights with Separate Tickets on Different Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2023, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a round trip from Calgary (YYC) to Singapore (SIN) and need to get another set of return tickets from SIN-BKK (Bangkok). Since it will be connecting flights with two separate tickets, do I need to go through immigration to collect my luggage and then check in for the flight to BKK? On my way to SIN and BKK, will 3 hr be enough time to catch the BKK flight with all the things that I need to do (collecting bags, immigration if needed and check-in) assuming there is no delay on the flight to SIN? Planning to have an overnight stay in SIN on my way back to YYC, so I'm not that concerned about the connecting flights on my way back. Any input is appreciated! Thank you.

My ticket to SIN is through ANA. I haven't bought the tickets to BKK yet.

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:51 AM

Air Canada and ANA are partners in Star Alliance with both Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines, so they there is a good chance they will be able to check your bags all the way through to BKK if you use one of those *A carriers to get to BKK.

I think your first flight is on Air Canada probably Calgary to YVR or YYZ and then ANA to Tokyo and on to SIN. (the AC flight might be an ANA flight number "operated by AC"). You will be checking the bags with AC (I doubt ANA has nonstops to Japan from YYC, but maybe a 787 on some days of week).

There might be interline baggage agreements with other carriers that would get it done.

If the bags are not checked through then you would have to go through immigration and customs to enter Singapore and then check bags and go through security. IDK how long that would take but three hours sounds ok, assuming no flight delays on any of your three flights make you arrive too late. You would want to be careful about not packing something that is allowed to be brought into Thailand but not into Singapore (there may be no difference; thinking drugs).

>>no flight delays on any of your three flights
am trying to say that delays on either of your first two flights might mean you miss one or both of those connections and then, of course, the flight from TYO to SIN could be delayed.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Apr 9th, 2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input! You're correct, the first flight is a co-share with Air Canada and the rest is ANA flights.
That is a good suggestion to consider Star Alliance airline partners. I'm weighing the price and the convenience between the low-cost and the Star Alliance ones. If I decide on the low-cost flights I might do 4-5 hr transit at SIN just to be on the safe side. I haven't done an international flight since Covid-19 started but heard that many airports are super busy with a lot of travellers.

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 09:44 AM

You could get a *A carrier for SIN->BKK and an lcc for BKK->SIN. Might be a good use of Aeroplan miles.

Click the link "Our Non-Star Alliance Interline Partners" here:
Air Canada Codeshare and Other Airline Partners

I saw Jetstar on the list.

>> heard that many airports are super busy with a lot of travellers.
That would help to make the case for being sure that your bags are checked through to BKK. Skip the immigration, customs, bag check, security, passport control. You would only have a passport check if you stayed airside (I assume).

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 09:51 AM

I think you should request that this thread be moved to the Air Travel forum.

Am a bit surprised it is still in Asia forum.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Great info and idea. I think I'll be doing this route. Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
I think you should request that this thread be moved to the Air Travel forum.

Am a bit surprised it is still in Asia forum.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm quite new to these forums and perhaps didn't pick the right category to post. Maybe that why it didn't get much exposure. Though I probably just leave the thread here; I don't know how to request for the thread to move and didn't want to create more work for the admin as well.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors Traveller5. We moved your topic to the Air Travel Forum. mrwunrfl brought this our attention. In future if you need a thread moved or a title edited or some other issue, click the orange triangle which opens a dialog box where you can communicate directly with the moderators. We left a pointer to the thread on the Asia Forum so it is still visible there.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 08:31 PM

Mod*1 gets
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much both mrwunrfl and Moderator1.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 05:43 AM

I'll sound like a Debbie Downer here, but I think this situation is fraught with potential pitfalls.

Regarding your bags going all the way through, call Air Canada and ask if that can be done. These are two separate tickets. They are under no obligation to check your bags all the way through to BKK. They might as a courtesy, but they might not. They definitely won't if your second leg is a low-cost carrier.

Remember, these are two separate tickets, so there is no actual "connection." AC and ANA's only obligation is to get you to SIN. If you arrive too late to catch you next flight, they owe you nothing else. They got you to SIN. They're done with you. The next airline would regard you as a no-show and cancel your reservation and ticket. You'd be stuck in Singapore.

Not that I'd never attempt this, but I'd allow a LOT more than three hours to do it, and I wouldn't be comfortable even with your four or five.

Anyway, call AC. If they can't or won't check the bags all the way through, then this is a possible debacle in the making.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Most airlines no longer will through-check bags on separate tickets or multiple PNRs (Passenger Name Records - the basic reservation) including in most cases two separate tickets using the same airline, e.g. flying British Airways to London followed by a second BA flight from London to some European destination. I tried to find something on Air Canada's website on this policy, but couldn't. You need to phone AC for the definitive word, or else plan your connection with ample lead time (maybe a day) so that if your bags are delayed on flight no. 1 you have time to wait for them to arrive. Do NOT rely on the assumption that some check-in agent will do you a favor and put both PNR details on the bag tag.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your input. Connecting with two separate tickets is such a headache. I didn't think much when I bought the tickets and now I really regret it . Yes, I understand I cannot rely on through-check bags or PNRs on separate tickets as this is just a courtesy and the agent might not even do it for me. Should I call ANA or Air Canada? The tickets were sold under ANA but my first flight will be a codeshare flight with AC. Thanks again.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Take a look at what it would cost to change the ticket to add on the SIN-BKK leg. You could also try adding SIN-BKK-SIN. Or changing to YYC-BKK-YYC. See what the options are. Likely prohibitively expensive, but you never know.

>> sold under ANA
Meaning an NH flight number operated by AC. Did you buy from AC or elsewhere? AC can sell you the SIN-BKK flight by phone. Am thinking linked tix.

Gardyloo, do airlines still link tickets? You mention the OPs bags could be tagged through as a courtesy, which I take to mean something possibly different from linking the reservations.

It was years ago (before 2005) when I checking with JAL for a flight to Tokyo in F. I had a second ticket from Tokyo NRT to Sapporo. I made the agent aware of both AA award tix. Not sure if I checked a bag, but am pretty sure I got both boarding passes and when I missed the connection they put me up for a night in Tokyo and on a HND-CTS flight the next day.

IDK if that was a matter of linking the tix or just a courtesy. That was olden days, tho.

>> Should I call ANA or Air Canada?
AC, as Gardyloo mentioned. They will be the ones tagging your bag(s).

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Apr 13th, 2023 at 10:56 AM.