Chelcked luggage size restrictions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying DL & BA and was about to buy a new suitcase when I saw that both have a size restriction of 62" total. I changed my bag and got one that is 59.5". When picking up my bags I noticed several bages way bigger than 62". The airlines said it' up to check0in counter whether you get it checked in for additional monies or denied totally. Anyone have an thoughts? I ended up buying two bags just to make sure.

thanks,
mike
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Buy a new bag(s). Better safe then sorry. Vacation is not the right time for added stress.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM

wow, Pulley, great eyesight. You can just look at a bag and determine the length, width, and hight. And then add them together. I'm impressed!
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Make sure it isn't over 50 lbs (each) or you will be charged extra. Found this out the hard way. My DH and I put all of our clothes in one bag instead of two and it was over 50 lbs so we had to pay extra. We thought we were being good! Now we use 2 and intermingle our clothes in case one of the cases gets lost we both have clothes.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM

I try to pay careful attention to weight, but often have checked bags a few pounds over 50 with AA, Air France, Lufthansa, Delta,Virgin, etc., with no charge. It's always my notebook and polartec that put the bag over. I've also been able to check a third bag (coming home) with no extra charge.

For me, a larger bag and a smaller bag are much easier to manage (and organize and live out of) than one huge bag. I generally take a 24 or 25 or 27" bag, a tote with the toiletries, guidebooks, maps, electronic rechargers, etc., and a tote on the plane (with the camera, binoculars, etc.). The plane tote (by then full of shopping) gets checked coming home (with the camera cards in my pocket).
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Tampatramp, I guess I do have great eyesight. When my bag is less than 3" from the limit and I see several substantially larger than mine I don't need to measure length, width & height. This forum should be about helping people not finding fault with their post or questions. Remember when you point your finger and someone you have three pointing back at you. Sorry my question perturbed you.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Before I'm blasted it should've read "when point your finger AT someone"
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 05:24 AM

The "three fingers back at you" axiom! I remember my 10th grade teacher, Mr. Moore, doing that to us, "Remember, when you point a finger ..." And it's been coming so true to me over the years since--27 since I've seen him. Sigh.

Now, I'm telling it a lot to the kids at my high school. Maybe, maybe, someday, they'll be thinking, "I remember when..."
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Pulley,

I agree, we should be helping people who travel.

Just because you see some oversize bags does not mean they didn't pay for the oversize or that they won't have to pay on the return trip if they got through without paying extra. (Did you see the bags at check-in or baggage claim?).

The fact that you bought a regulation bag is helpful and sends a good message. As for eyesight, do you really want every large bag to be measured at check-in (with the ensuing exactly where do you measure discussion - un like measuring weight)?

I'll stick with my comment. But I wasn't pointing fingers, only trying to point out that exact size can be hard to determine and if the airline thinks a bag is too big and does measure it: don't complain or better yet fly with luggage that meets the requirement.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Tampatramp, apparently you misread my first post. I wasn't complaining about the larger bags. I was inquiring about the risks associated with a larger bag. I didn't want to take a chance of my bag not being allowed on. If were strictly a money charge I would gladly pay it.

Your first post was really just being sarvastic about my sight & my skills. You didn't mention anything about size being hard to determine. But if you feel better about making fun of me have it.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Tampatramp,

I want to end this by saying I'm sure your first post was in jest. At 6:00 am I sometime take things to personally. Anyway I'm flying FC on BA to BKK and that what matters. If they lose my luggage I guess I'll have to shop till I drop.

Do you by chance know any Runey's in Charleston.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:01 AM

Pully,

I never made fun of you. (or meant in any way to imply that). Yes I was sarcastic, and yes in jest. But your original post never mentioned anything about risk in trying to get oversise bags on without paying.

In any case, enjoy your flight- they will not lose your luggage. And more importantly, enjoy Bangkok.

I don't know any Runey's in Charleston or elsewhere.

end of discussion.