Changing United Airlines flight that was booked with miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping someone can help me here. My initial flight booking with United was paid for with miles. I wish to change that flight and book a flight departing one day earlier. If I search for flights for my new travel date using miles, is the price indicated for the new flight on top of the miles I have already redeemed, or is that what the new price would be?
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 03:05 AM
J62

Originally Posted by alfredmaguire3599
I'm hoping someone can help me here. My initial flight booking with United was paid for with miles. I wish to change that flight and book a flight departing one day earlier. If I search for flights for my new travel date using miles, is the price indicated for the new flight on top of the miles I have already redeemed, or is that what the new price would be?
what did united say when you talked to them? either on phone or chat?
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 04:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alfredmaguire3599
You can change the date of your flight online for most flights. Make sure you check the book for using miles (or wahtever it says). Then follow the prompts. For some flights you do have to go through an agent on the phone.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 07:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. You probably need to talk to United. IF there have been any schedule changes to your original flight you should be able to change no problem. But if you just want to cancel an existing award booking and start over -- is there award availability on the new flight? Miles required for on day won't necessarily be he same on a different day -- and might not be available at all. Call UA and see what your options are.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 08:13 AM

I had a TATL United flight, booked with miles last year, that was changed. They added a stop and the arrival time was much later than the one booked. I found a flight a day earlier but the price was higher than the original booking. I called and talked to a rep and said their change was an "involuntary reschedule" so they should do their best to match the original booking. After talking to a supervisor, the rep agreed. If they've made any changes since your purchase, you might give it a try.

Last edited by greytop13; Jul 4th, 2023 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 06:52 PM

Try the easy way first

If you sign in and call up your reservation you should se an option to change flights. If you click on that you will be prompted to search for flights on your desired earlier departure date. It will display available flights and what (if any) additional miles are needed. If you see something that is acceptable you can make the change right there online. If the available options are not acceptable (i.e., too many additional miles required) AND United has made a significant (e.g., 2 hours or more) change to the times in your original reservation, make a note of the new flight(s) you want then call and speak with an agent, saying that the change they made is an "involuntary reschedule" that is not acceptable to you and you would rather be changed to the flights you want. If the agent is unable/unwilling to do it, either ask to be escalated to a supervisor or just hang up and call again.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 04:26 AM

The OP never said United had changed anything, they just wanted to change themself. I've done this numerous times and thought the results were clear but don't remember details. One thing you could check is just what it would cost if you booked it from scratch and compare, that should make it clear .

Old Jul 6th, 2023, 12:58 PM

I've also booked an upcoming United flight with miles. I was thinking about changing dates so did exactly what Seamus described above, but the available flights did not show additional miles needed. Instead the total miles were displayed for the flight segment which was really strange. That has not been my experience when I've changed flights paid for with $. I don't know if there was a glitch in the system when I checked but since I wasn't really committed to changing flights and didn't want to call customer service I left my itinerary as is.