Cell Phones in carry on is it OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone travel today? What was your experience? Can you take a cell phone in your carr on?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM
P_M

I did not travel today but some people from my office did. They reported that all toothpaste, lotions, hairspray, etc were confuscated, but there was no mention of cell phones being a problem. I'm sure we would have heard about it by now if cell phones were going to be confuscated.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:12 PM

You can't fly with cell phones in the cabin. They can be used to detonate the bomb.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM

<b>sunshine</b>,

can you post a link stating that cellphones are banned?

Where do some of you people get this information?

Liquids only at the moment......
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

After asking this question, my girlfriend who works for Los Angeles Airport gave me this TSA site. It didn't mention cell phones.

I think that PM who got reports from people who travelled today has a better handle on it.

I am flying domestically on Saturday, I normally don't check any luggage going to this location so all I am taking on is my purse with cell phone and non-gel type medicines. I think the news said that some people had to leave their lip balm behind or check it.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM

This was in a press fact sheet that was released today which is where the news is getting their info:

Increased Aviation Screening Procedures:
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is implementing a series of security measures, some visible and some not visible, to ensure the security of the traveling public and the nation's transportation system.
TSA is immediately implementing the following changes to airport screening procedures:

&Oslash; NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY ON BAGGAGE. SUCH ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, sun tan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
Exceptions: Baby formula and medicines, which must be presented for inspection at the checkpoint.
&Oslash; Beverages purchased in the boarding area, beyond the checkpoint, must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
&Oslash; Passengers traveling from the United Kingdom to the United States will be subject to a more extensive screening process.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated as circumstances warrant.

How every passenger can assist in security:
&Oslash; Pack lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening
&Oslash; Arrive earlier than usual at the airport
&Oslash; Cooperate with TSA personnel at checkpoints and with airline personnel at all gates

They aren't banning electronic devices, but they may very well be spending more time verifying that they are in working order. I believe their logic is that if they don't allow liquids on board, then there will be no explosive to set off.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM

I read that the liquid that the bad guys were going to use was &quot;a popular British sports drink&quot;. I'd like to know what is it in beer that makes it useful for explosives?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:53 AM

There are 2 sets of rules - the very strict rules are from flights UK/USA. The only real difference in domestic US flights has to do with liquids, gels, etc. Electronics, etc are still OK in US.

The guy on ABC news this AM was showing a Gatorade type bottle with a red liquid inside - the bottom was some sort of gel explosive, the top some other liquid. The idea was to attach wires thru thru the bottom into the gel and blow it up.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM

According to FAQs on the TSA website, cell phones may be carried on for domestic flights.
http://www.tsa.gov/
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Bubba2,

Thanks for your response the Q &amp; A site in TSA is right on point and very helpful. Thanks to all for you responses.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Yes, ALL electronics may be carried on board on flights leaving the US-but not on flights leaving the UK.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I flew on a domestic flight yesterday. No liquids, gels, toothpaste, perfumes, hand sanitizers, etc allowed. Cell phones, I pods, computers all ok. Food was OK.

I had to give away a bottle of unopened wine because I would not check the glass bottle when otherwise I would have taken it on as a carry-on. Had to throw away unfinished bottles of water to go thru security, but could be purchased after thru security but could not bring them on the plane, carry on bags were re-checked again before boarding by TSA.

While in security My mom had to throw away lip stick/lip gloss. (you forget you have these things tucked deep in a handbag)

My flight was delayed several hours. It was a long day but the only really bad part of the day was arrival in PHL. A nitemare, 20 times worse than the usual nitemare at PHL.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I flew from Boston to Chicago yesterday evening. The wait to get through security was about an hour. Slower than usual, but not bad. You could not fly with liquids or gels of any kind--mascara, lip gloss, lip balm, lotions, eye drops etc. were confiscated. Each carry on bag was hand inspected before being allowed to board, which delayed flights about an hour. A lot of flights were cancelled yesterday. My flight would have been on time, had the plane not ingested a bird into its engine upon landing at Logan. We waited five hours for a replacement plane and finally left at 11 pm. To save time, TSA &quot;pre-screened&quot; our carry on baggage--which meant the entire planeload of people were corralled and sectioned off into a seating are with about 30 seats after having their bags handchecked. Miserable to say the least. But people were in good spirits. Cellphones, Ipods and laptops were allowed on board.
I suspect things will get better as the days go on. Just plan ahead.