Cancelling a UA FLight

Aug 13th, 2019, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Cancelling a UA FLight

First time in many years I've had to cancel a flight. I have a one way nonrefundable flight on UA. I need to cancel due to the illness and surgery of my grandson. I was traveling with his mother who obviously can't go. Do I have any recourse? I remember many years ago they would give you some of the fare back in a voucher if the cancellation was for medical reasons. Do I call? Or can I do it online? Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Call . . they usually will give credit for a future flight for a year
Aug 15th, 2019, 08:20 AM

You should get credit but you will also have to pay a change fee so if it was a very cheap flight younwon’t wind up with any left over.
Aug 15th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yes, it was a cheapie.
Aug 16th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Yes that is correct. You have to pay the change fee and then you get a credit for what you paid for the fare that must be used only by you in 1 year.

I did this once and that's how it worked.
Aug 19th, 2019, 08:49 AM

It doesn't matter the reason, there is nothing unusual about this versus any other cancellation. I've done it just because I decided I didn't feel like going on the trip. Yes, you get credit toward another flight minus the change fee, same as anybody else. Calling isn't going to do anything magical nor is there any reason you should get special treatment. You can just do it online.
Aug 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
It doesn't matter the reason, there is nothing unusual about this versus any other cancellation. I've done it just because I decided I didn't feel like going on the trip. Yes, you get credit toward another flight minus the change fee, same as anybody else. Calling isn't going to do anything magical nor is there any reason you should get special treatment. You can just do it online.
Just to update this. My experience in the past is that when you call they will adjust the change fee if it’s a medical reason and you provide documentation . It’s been 3 years since I had to cancel. Is that what you mean by “magical” or “special” treatment? And in fact I did call and the change fee will be reduced once I get them a letter from the surgeon.
Aug 19th, 2019, 11:33 AM

I agree -- My experience is not at all like Christina's (not a surprise that ) Maybe we just have 'magical' powers??
Aug 19th, 2019, 12:03 PM

That was my experience with Air France....so glad it worked out well, yestravel.
Aug 19th, 2019, 02:26 PM

I've had to cancel a handful of United flights over the last couple of years due to my mother's medical issues. The credit is associated with the record locator of the original reservation, so keep track of that for when you want to use it to rebook (i.e., there is no voucher, at least in my experiences). The change fee is deducted when you apply the credit to a new reservation.

When I'm dealing with these, I usually call. I've never asked to have the change fee waived, but in a couple of cases agents have volunteered to do so. I have one open case right now: I had to cancel my return home last month, as my mother fell while I was there and was hospitalized for a few days. I was advised that when I apply the credit, I can submit hospital documentation to claim a refund for the change fee (there is a form on the United site for doing so).

Last edited by ms_go; Aug 19th, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Aug 20th, 2019, 02:52 AM

I've cancelled 3 international flights in the last 3 years - one due to my cancer diagnosis -that was on points so just lost 5000 points per person , one was cancelled because my travel,insurance was going to be $5,000 and the last cancelled because dh just wasn't in a head space to travel - the last 2 I lost $400 per ticket . I've nearly given up planing international travel .
Aug 21st, 2019, 07:05 PM

yestravel -
Do call, do state that the issue is medical and ask if the change fee can be waived and credit used for future travel (usually restricted to within one year of original purchase.) Keep in mind that the change fee is paid with "new dollars" - that is, it is not deducted from the fare you already paid, rather is a new charge that must be paid. The agent may tell you to pay the change fee and then submit a request for refund (along with documentation) using the online form. That's what they've done with me on a couple occasions over the years.